06 cams vs. 08 cams

5 replies to this topic
  • thmlrmg

Posted June 08, 2009 - 05:51 AM

Hey guys, I have read a couple threads about the 06 450 cams being better than the 08 cams. Should I order both the intake and exhaust or just the intake. Thanks.

• mikedabike

Posted June 08, 2009 - 06:06 AM

Not really a case of being better. Cams just affect the power curve. I think the 06's were biased for low to mid power and the 08' cams move it up the rpm range a bit.

• grayracer513

Posted June 08, 2009 - 06:33 AM

Not really a case of being better. Cams just affect the power curve. I think the 06's were biased for low to mid power and the 08' cams move it up the rpm range a bit.

That's correct.

As to what cam to buy, if any, you have to first decide what you're trying to accomplish. Are you still running the stock muffler?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thmlrmg

Posted June 08, 2009 - 11:04 AM

That's correct.

As to what cam to buy, if any, you have to first decide what you're trying to accomplish. Are you still running the stock muffler?

No, I am running the full DR. D system. I am looking for the low end to mid range power.

• erickdj

Posted June 08, 2009 - 11:06 AM

Add a couple of teeth to the rear sprocket and see if you still want more low/mid power. I put a 51 tooth sprocket on my 08 and I think for now I'll be ok on power. I also have the Dr.D pipe, so we're comparing apples to apples here, for the most part.

• grayracer513

Posted June 08, 2009 - 01:05 PM

No, I am running the full DR. D system. I am looking for the low end to mid range power.

OK, then start with just the exhaust cam. That will boost the mid range without surrendering too much of the top end. If it's not enough, then go with the intake also, and the engine will basically become an '06.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.