little help

9 replies to this topic
  • silverado

Posted June 07, 2009 - 04:16 PM

i broke my case got a new one bare no bearings from yamaha my motor only has 7hrs on it can i use all the part and bearings out of it and how long should it take 2 do my shop told me 18hrs at 160$ a hr a lot of cash what do u guys think

• Diode663

Posted June 07, 2009 - 07:14 PM

Is that Canadian dollars? Even so thats a whole lot of money per hour for shop time, on top of that 18 hours as a whole lot of shop time to do the task, I don't know what it has in the book for this, but that just absurd, in 18 hours you could tear the bike down to the individual piece and rebuild it. I would try a different shop thats not trying to rape you. That or what exactly did you break? It may be able to be welded for far less money and trouble.

• silverado

Posted June 07, 2009 - 10:40 PM

http://i686.photobuc...rocfran/012.jpg

• husqy360

Posted June 08, 2009 - 01:02 AM

shops around here are expensive, but i pay around 100 per hour. some charge less.

• Geoffit

Posted June 08, 2009 - 06:57 AM

If you take the engine out, any good shop should be able to do that job for 7 hours at what ever the shop rate. add 2 hours to r&r the motor.
the real truth is that a good guy can do the job in 4 hours but things are slow in most shops so clawing as much cash out of the customers as they can is the rule

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 08, 2009 - 08:15 AM

There should be a flat rate estimating manual that is used to write up estimates. The times quoted in these are based on studies of how long it takes a number of technicians to perform the task in question using hand tools. Mitchell, a major player in the automotive world, then throws out the high and low times and averages the rest. Where a new model comes out, and there is no opportunity to do such a study, many publishers will use the factory's warranty labor time guide (arrived at the same as the retail ones are) and add 30% or so. Ask the shop to tell you on what they are basing their estimated labor times.

18 sounds a bit high. Maybe they think they're going to have to wash it.

• silverado

Posted June 08, 2009 - 02:38 PM

http://i686.photobuc...n/justin019.jpg

• silverado

Posted June 08, 2009 - 05:55 PM

she guys can i use the old bearings in the new case thanks

• B_DRZ

Posted June 08, 2009 - 07:33 PM

Holy snapping aresholes, 160 bucks an hour, where did you get the quote from? We only charge 115 at my work, and I have to work on giant stinky diesel trucks............. OH ya I have to ask, how in bloody heck did you do that?

• silverado

Posted June 08, 2009 - 10:07 PM

kickstart gear broke

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.