03 WR450 w/ 04 starter upgrade just spins?

7 replies to this topic
  • Black-1

Posted June 07, 2009 - 07:05 AM

I have an 03 WR 450 and have just upgraded the starter assembly per
http://www.wr450.com...inals/index.htm
instructions. Now all I get is the starter spinning, I have checked and it does spin the Idler Gear Assy/Torque Limiter but there is no connection to the engine? I have tried locating the thrust washers in different positions (1 on each side as directed, both on one side, etc.) hoping to get a better bite but with the same result? Anyone have any suggestions?

• naroy2

Posted June 07, 2009 - 08:05 PM

I have an 03 WR 450 and have just upgraded the starter assembly per
http://www.wr450.com...inals/index.htm
instructions. Now all I get is the starter spinning, I have checked and it does spin the Idler Gear Assy/Torque Limiter but there is no connection to the engine? I have tried locating the thrust washers in different positions (1 on each side as directed, both on one side, etc.) hoping to get a better bite but with the same result? Anyone have any suggestions?

The previous owner of my bike had done the upgrade before I bought it and it never did work right. I also having a riding buddy who has done the upgrade also with no satisfaction. :lol:

About sixs months ago I took the starter and battery off and said the heck with it. So know I'm still kicking..just a few pounds lighter. :thumbsup:

I realize that this does not help you any:excuseme:

• BEAN329

Posted June 07, 2009 - 08:06 PM

did you install the bushing into the mag cover. did you put the starter gear in backwards. I did the mod on mine several months ago with no problems. I did not even remove the mag cover to install the new bushing, just shove a shop rag into the openning of the mag cover so you don't drop the bushing into the engine. It almost sounds like you left the idler gear out. this is the gear that touches the flywheel.

• Black-1

Posted June 08, 2009 - 05:13 AM

I am sure that I installed the idler gear correctly as the whole assembly is a single unit. It can't go on backwards as the starter gear that engages the crank shaft would protrude too far and you wouldn't be able to put the cover back on. It seems to me that the assembly is supposed to act like a clutch where the gear is completely disengaged from the engine until the starter motor spins up and pushes the starter gear into place?!? I don't know enough about the Idler Gear Assy/Torque Limiter to know if it is just a faulty unit or what. Thanks for the input guys, any other thoughts?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DrBosa

Posted June 08, 2009 - 06:48 AM

I dont know if you have taken you starter motor apart, but if you did it is easy to get the stator on wrong. Then the starter motor turns the wrong way, and you get no cranking, even though the idle gear moves. Did you check which way the starter motor turns? It should turn clockwise.

• Black-1

Posted June 09, 2009 - 05:51 AM

Nope, starter motor has always turned (no dead spots) so I have not taken it apart. I have taken the cover off of the gear assembly and held the gear in place while hitting the gray button and the starter is spinning the assembly just fine?!?:thumbsup:

• DrBosa

Posted June 10, 2009 - 02:36 AM

Did you check if the starter clutch is working properly? It should spin one way but not the other (cant remember which way, but you will find it if you do a search).

• peter thomas

Posted February 14, 2011 - 09:54 PM

You should only be able to turn the idler gear counter clockwise(try by hand with the damper assembly removed. If it locks when turning it clockwise the clutch is functioning. Cranking the motor in reverse with the rotor nut should engage the starter system all the way to the motor. Move slowly as this is not normal rotation and just a test. Watch all the gears with the damper cover removed and you should find where you have a issue.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.