help need for 02 yz426f please

3 replies to this topic
  • yzf426f

Posted June 06, 2009 - 02:08 AM

hey guys.well ive finally decided to go back to riding two strokes and have put my bike up for sale.i got a guy that wants to buy it and wants to hear it start.anywayz no problem there.the problem is i havent had oil in the engine for about 3 or 4 weeks because i was gonna put it in the shop.ive been told if i put oil in it and start it up i can do damage to the cylinder walls because the oil would have run of the pistons and cylinder walls.now i dont know how much of this is true but i thought gray or anyone that knows could help me out here.because i dont wanna damage anythink.thanks guys.and aslo does the 426 take 1 litre of oil or 1.5 litre's ?

• grayracer513

Posted June 06, 2009 - 07:47 AM

If the oil was drained, but the filter left in place, it's 1.5L.

You should always use a bit of caution not to rev or load an engine too much when cold starting, regardless of whether it was stored without oil, as it can take several seconds for normal lubrication to initialize, but there should be no unusual hazard to yours.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzf426f

Posted June 06, 2009 - 07:22 PM

thankz gray

• 02WR426Cali

Posted June 06, 2009 - 07:27 PM

The oil will run off the cylinder wall and piston the same weather there is or isn't oil in the motor. Time is more important, the more time between starts the more dry it's going to be. But the oil isn't stored in the cylinder so that has no effect.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.