Washing the WR450F

6 replies to this topic
  • foursmoke

Posted March 14, 2003 - 05:54 PM

Is using a pressure washer not a good idea?I have always used a gas powered 2300 psi washer on my 00 DRZ400E but have read that a garden hose with a brush is better for the bike.Seem to me a pressure washer would get the bike cleaner.If high pressure is the danger,maybe just using it on the lower pressure fan as opposed to the much higher needle spray would be ok.I also read in the WR's manual that you must be very careful of the engines vent or weep holes.What are you guys or maybe some girls(but I doubt it)covering these holes with? Duct tape or some sort of rubber plug.Any input would be great.

• jackalope

Posted March 14, 2003 - 06:19 PM

I use a pressure washer but I take caution. I do not hold it on the engine for any prolonged amount of time. The engine and area around air box are the only areas I take extra caution with. Distance is also a key. Don't get too close. Also depends on what you are cleaning off. Mud is a lot easier w/ the pressure but plain old dust I usually hose and hand wash. Simple green works wonders!!All depends on how dirty it gets and how motivated I am to clean. I just plug the exhaust and go.

03 WR450 free mods,jetted,BRP clamp shark fin & skid plate, scotts stabilizer, pro rally hand guards, factory connection frame guards & radiator braces, renthal fatbars,spider grips, race tech suspension

• blue_beast_wins

Posted March 14, 2003 - 07:54 PM

I use a pressure washer, it dosn't cost me as much money wise in bearings, for the time i save washing the bike, if that makes any sense :D :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted March 15, 2003 - 02:02 AM

Use the pressure washer carefully and it will be OK. Stay away from the carb, top of the engine, and electrics.

• MN_Kevin

Posted March 15, 2003 - 02:43 AM

be ginger around the swingarm and linkage bearings/seal w/ a pressure washer. It is tough because these ARE the collection points for mud, sand, etc.

If you have ever tried to remove any seized bearings/bushings, you'll know EXACTLY what I mean.

I had a seized swingarm pivot bolt on my 1991 Honda CR250. I tried everything to get it out: heat, hammer, even a GIANT bench vise to force it out >> NOTHING.

I eventually slid a hacksaw blade in between the swingarm and frame. I sawed the swingarm pivot in 2 (or was it 3??) places before I could pull it apart.

$180.00 later, it was all like new.

Point is if you pressure wash you bike, or even if you don't, GREASE ALL YOUR PIVOT PINTS/BEARINGS/BUSHINGS regularly.

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 15, 2003 - 03:04 AM

I agree with you Kevin. That is why I like to take the shock and swingarm and grease them at regular intervals. With regular lubrication the pressure washer does less damage in these areas.

• Burnrider

Posted March 15, 2003 - 03:24 AM

If you can limit the pressure to 1200 or 1500 that will help the bearings and linkage. When you wash it remove the mud with water. When it's mostly clean cut a solution of Zep Citrus or Simple Green with water and spray it on. Let it sit a minute and hit it again to remove the mud scum remaining.
Don't forget your spokes. Every couple of rides use a good penetrant to lube the spoke nipples on the bottom half of the wheel. Let it sit overnight, rotate the wheel and do it again. Liquid Wrench or CRC breakfree work well. The spokes will seize up without some lube.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.