HELP... Green or Red Sticker?

1 reply to this topic
  • Walt_R

Posted September 07, 2002 - 07:26 AM

I started riding when I was 14, continued until I was 34, did the family boat thing (had 2 daughters neither wanted to ride bikes), now am 42 and have a deposit on a new 03 wr450 - can't wait to get back in the Zone!

The dealer said the wr450 is a red sticker bike. But as I have searched the Trader for used bikes, I see alot of 01 and 02 wr's with Green stickers. Whats up? I would like to get a green sticker if possible. DMV screw up? Can you make a wr450 into a green sticker with aftermarket parts? Any help would be appreciated.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fryboy

Posted September 07, 2002 - 08:19 AM

Hi Walt R,

Yes it all can be quite confusing. I studied that crap for weeks prior to purchasing my 2002 WR426F. Whenever you see bikes which should get the Red having the Green it is because one of the following:
a. DMV screwed up
b. Dealer submitted paperwork to DMV stipulating this is a street only bike.
c. Its imported from Canada
d. It has a Virginia Connection.

Did I miss anything?

Oh yes... I have yet to be turned away due to my Red Sticker. I have heard most are just checking to ensure registration is current, checking sound, and if riding in Forest you have a spark arrestor.

The real reason, as I see it, in desiring a Green sticker is if you plan on street legalizing it. You will have a hard time getting it legal if you started out with a red sticky. Much easier if green to begin with.

Currently I know of the following models certified green:

Honda XR family
Kawasaki KLX
And maybe the Kawi KDX ???
2003 Cannondales are rumored to be green too.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.