Liability Insurance British Columbia

38 replies to this topic
  • swansong04

Posted June 04, 2009 - 03:01 PM

well , i just have a question concerning liability insurance .. i just looking into through icbc here in British Columbia and it was a thousand bucks for the yr !!:crazy: and it is funny you go to local riding area's around here and i wonder just how many guys on 450's have it ... i am confused by it all and when is it needed... is it like a quad where you have to have it if you ride on FSR roads ???
any info would be great ...

Gary

• tribalbc

Posted June 06, 2009 - 07:22 PM

Legally you need it to ride on any logging roads that are not deactivated.
Not that anyone really obeys this though.
Your price seems high. I pay around $300 for 7 months insurance from ICBC.
Just the basic liability.
I do have all the good driver discounts though.

• KLX450-DIRK

Posted June 09, 2009 - 05:11 PM

Hi guys, I ride in the Maple Ridge area. I am on a 450 but i'm not plated. Are you guys both running plates? Can you get liability without running plates. I wanted to call ICBC and see if i can get theft insurance for my bike. If someone boosts it from my garage...i'm sure house insurance won't cover it...who will? Your thoughts?
Dirk

• swansong04

Posted June 09, 2009 - 05:30 PM

Hi guys, I ride in the Maple Ridge area. I am on a 450 but i'm not plated. Are you guys both running plates? Can you get liability without running plates. I wanted to call ICBC and see if i can get theft insurance for my bike. If someone boosts it from my garage...i'm sure house insurance won't cover it...who will? Your thoughts?
Dirk

well i know your house insurance won't cover ... yes you can get liability insurance through ICBC but it is expensive and no i am not running a plate.. ( its a yz450f) .. i have found if you go to your local insurance dealer they can steer you in the right direction .. i got a quote for private insurances( liability only ) for $350 a yr .. the CC'S of your bike make a huge difference in price.. i am kinda confused because i have liability insurance for my grizzly 700 quad and it is only $125 yr go figure ...

tribalbc :

i have almost 25 yrs claim free driving and i don't think it make a difference on the liability insurance through icbc for the bike .. and you got plates right ???

Gary

• tribalbc

Posted June 09, 2009 - 05:40 PM

well i know your house insurance won't cover ... yes you can get liability insurance through ICBC but it is expensive and no i am not running a plate.. ( its a yz450f) .. i have found if you go to your local insurance dealer they can steer you in the right direction .. i got a quote for private insurances( liability only ) for $350 a yr .. the CC'S of your bike make a huge difference in price.. i am kinda confused because i have liability insurance for my grizzly 700 quad and it is only $125 yr go figure ...

tribalbc :

i have almost 25 yrs claim free driving and i don't think it make a difference on the liability insurance through icbc for the bike .. and you got plates right ???

Gary

Yeah I've got a plate.
Not that I ever have it on though....

Dirk
ICBC will charge you up the a** if you want theft. And not having a plate it's probably not possible anyways. Best to go the private route as Swansong suggests.

• KLX450-DIRK

Posted June 09, 2009 - 05:44 PM

I spoke w/ ICBC and they said they would put me on to an underwriter for theft INS.. although it won't be cheap she says. I don't think liability is a big deal..IS IT? i mean, what can they do, kick you off the FSR? FS employee gonna give tickets? I do ride alot of FSR's though... i think i need more info.

• KLX450-DIRK

Posted June 09, 2009 - 05:45 PM

where do you guys ride? Ever had probs on FSR's? Ever been asked for proof of liability ins?

• tribalbc

Posted June 09, 2009 - 06:01 PM

I've only heard of rare issues with CO's or Cops at big popular riding areas. I've never had anyone say Boo and pretty much everyone I know rides without it.

If you have a KLX it's really simple to plate....

• KLX450-DIRK

Posted June 09, 2009 - 06:11 PM

I've only heard of rare issues with CO's or Cops at big popular riding areas. I've never had anyone say Boo and pretty much everyone I know rides without it.

If you have a KLX it's really simple to plate....

Naw, I'm strictly dirt. I flirted with road riding for a while and it was fun but i got 2 ankle biters that need a daddy. I'm a trail rider and an explorer...i like searching out cool places to drink a beer etc.LOL
I don't wanna deal with putting on a road kit either...but things change...you never know. I would love to ride to areas as opposed to trailering everywhere.

• tribalbc

Posted June 09, 2009 - 06:25 PM

Naw, I'm strictly dirt. I flirted with road riding for a while and it was fun but i got 2 ankle biters that need a daddy. I'm a trail rider and an explorer...i like searching out cool places to drink a beer etc.LOL
I don't wanna deal with putting on a road kit either...but things change...you never know. I would love to ride to areas as opposed to trailering everywhere.

I'm strictly dirt as well. I don't even like logging roads, strictly trails if possible. I just have the luxury of riding from my house 1-5km on pavement to hit the trails. There's not a whole lot of traffic but some of the roads are highways....
I don't even put the plate on, just carry my insurance. Saves you the big no insurance fine.
You could plate your bike without a road kit, if interested PM me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • swansong04

Posted June 11, 2009 - 03:03 PM

you know though .. liability insurance is there for more then just appeasing C.O's and police officers .. it is there to protect you in case god forbid you came around a corner and hit a kid on a bike hurting him really bad .. i would bet you would be sued for damages .. so it is nice to know the honest mistake doesn't lead you to losing everything you ever worked for ..

JMHO

Gary

• KLX450-DIRK

Posted June 12, 2009 - 08:20 AM

Assuming HE had liability...maybe the kid came around the corner and hit ME on MY BIKE. LOL I get what yer sayin...better safe than sorry...financially! LOL

• ttrmisfit

Posted June 14, 2009 - 03:44 PM

I was out riding behind kelowna 1 day and we were actually stopped by forestry and ask if we had liablity insurance i had never heard of it appparently youve needed it for five years EVEN ON DEACTIVATED LOGGING ROADS!!! **** that im not paying more money to go out in the bush and enjoy myself im not hurting anyone im not doing crime or selling drugs and if they wanna try and give me a fine then they can try to catch me haha jk oh btw spark arrestors no screen = 500 bux so yea get yer screens in...

• Jäger

Posted June 14, 2009 - 07:37 PM

I don't think liability is a big deal..IS IT? i mean, what can they do, kick you off the FSR? FS employee gonna give tickets? I do ride alot of FSR's though... i think i need more info.

You're required to have liability; you are not required to have a plate.

Liability insurance
12 (1) A person must not operate or cause to be operated a motor vehicle or trailer, other than a motor vehicle or trailer described by section 2 (5) of the Motor Vehicle Act, on a forest service road unless
(a) the driver, motor vehicle and trailer are insured under a valid and subsisting contract of accident insurance providing insurance against liability to third parties in the amount of at least $200 000, and
(:thumbsup: the driver carries written evidence, supplied by the insurer, of the insurance referred to in paragraph (a), or a copy of that written evidence, and produces it, on demand, to a peace officer or an official.

MoF has people called C&E - Compliance and Enforcement. And yes, they can do all sorts of nasty things to you when you're not operating within the law. Like... depending on what they tag you with, fines of up to $5000 and imprisonment of up to six months.

There aren't a lot of them in each forest district, and they usually have more work than they can deal with to get around to bikes. However... when complaints reach the ears of their bosses and they get told to go forth and deal with bikes... you don't want to get caught without that insurance. This happened last year after a bunch of morons tore up a wetland and the complaints went out. The next week they were out with the CO's, set up on a blind corner, and they were taking no prisoners. I heard from one of the riders that got a tickie that one guy turned and ran. Found the CO's truck across the road from where he'd been hiding about half a kilometer back where he'd been sitting out of sight on a branch road, with no way around or past between them. They aren't dumb, and if they decide to set up a sucker trap for those who think they'll run, you'll really get burned for trying it. That guy left in handcuffs...

You could probably get away with it forever. But maybe not. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

• loopsrider

Posted June 14, 2009 - 09:09 PM

I was out riding behind kelowna 1 day and we were actually stopped by forestry and ask if we had liablity insurance i had never heard of it appparently youve needed it for five years EVEN ON DEACTIVATED LOGGING ROADS!!! **** that im not paying more money to go out in the bush and enjoy myself im not hurting anyone im not doing crime or selling drugs and if they wanna try and give me a fine then they can try to catch me haha jk oh btw spark arrestors no screen = 500 bux so yea get yer screens in...

errrrr........:thumbsup:

• KLX450-DIRK

Posted June 17, 2009 - 06:57 PM

OK, OK...i broke down and bought third party liability insurance! I succumbed to peer pressure(thanks...financially). For all those interested...it was super easy, didn't even have to deal with a human. Go to Capri.ca(in Canada) and it'll walk you through. You have the option of seasonal coverage(May-December) for $95CDN or Full year covereage for $125. Not bad for a little piece of mind. NOW SHUT UP ALL OF YOU! LOL:foul: :worthy:

• swansong04

Posted June 18, 2009 - 05:08 AM

OK, OK...i broke down and bought third party liability insurance! I succumbed to peer pressure(thanks...financially). For all those interested...it was super easy, didn't even have to deal with a human. Go to Capri.ca(in Canada) and it'll walk you through. You have the option of seasonal coverage(May-December) for $95CDN or Full year covereage for $125. Not bad for a little piece of mind. NOW SHUT UP ALL OF YOU! LOL:foul: :worthy:

HUH !!?? i just called capri and they were insistent that they DO NOT sell liability for dirt bikes ..... only quads and snowmobiles ... and i could not find paper work on their web site for dirt bikes either ... can you link me to their dirt bike inusrance ?? cause that is CHEAP for 450 !!!!

Gary

p.s.

from their site at www.capri.ca
cut and paste

To apply for the program, contact our toll free number (1.888.818.5821) and request an application. Once you receive the Dirt Bike Physical Damage Application, simply fill it out return it to our office by fax or mail.

The bikes we insure under this program are off road units and must not be licensed for the highway.

Our policy has no restrictions regarding theft of the insured unit under any coverage option. Unlike the competition.

[COLOR="Red"] It is important to note that third party liability for Dirt Bikes is not available except through ICBC[/COLOR].

To apply for coverage, or to inquire further please call 1.888.818.5821, email us, or visit one of our offices, (click for locations).

• KLX450-DIRK

Posted June 18, 2009 - 06:32 PM

Just apply for the ATV coverage. The person i talked to said it is all the same. Bike or a quad...it is an all terrain vehicle and if you wanna be on logging roads or forest service roads you need it. I rode out at Harrison Lake today and we went out to the Clear Creek hotsprings...(great 110km ride round trip) and ironically got checked at the base of the road for insurance. I had to laugh cuz my two buddies on quads were ripping me 2 days ago sayin they'd kill me if we got checked and i had none and we had to cut the day short! In any case...the hotsprings are just what the doctor ordered...cures what ails ya. Check em out if you get the chance.

• swansong04

Posted June 18, 2009 - 07:00 PM

huh , weird .. my wife works for envision credit union and the lady in the insurance office there told her the same thing .. and when i phone capri they told me the same ... their liabilty is for quads only !!! and when you get liability through i.c.b.c they are very specific about how many cc's your bike is .. my wife's bike is a klx 140 and mine is a yz 450 f and her's was 1/4 cheaper than mine.. and her's was still 250 bucks a yr ..
hopefully if god forbid you need it , it is valid

Gary

• KLX450-DIRK

Posted June 20, 2009 - 05:58 PM

So after our discussion i called Capri again and spoke to someone different and found out that, No-dirtbikes do not qualify for 3rd party liability and the guy i spoke to originally was a moron and didn't know that either. After i scouted around the site it even says under the dirtbike section that they don't apply and only ICBC can offer it. You were correct Swansong. Needless to say thay are crediting back the charge and i'm gonna havta talk to ICBC afterall. That sucks cuz it's gonna be alot more expensive. May have to rethink insurance and start thinking "daring escapes" LOL DUKES O" HAZZARD STYLE! Just need a horn that blows dixie! LOL And not wrecking into anything/one will help too.:worthy:

Related Content

Where 2 Ride

Union bay coal hills

CPFP Road, Comox-Strathcona A, BC V0R, Canada

Forums
Photo
Alberta

Brazeau Poker Rally by joeyschmo101

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Canada
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Ontario

the corduroy enduro by redwheeliemonster

• 1 reply
Where 2 Ride

South East New Brunswick

Riverview NB

Forums
Photo
Ontario

calabogie boogie by redwheeliemonster

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.