click click click

8 replies to this topic
  • ThumperWR450F

Posted March 14, 2003 - 12:53 PM

anybody hear a click click noise when they are riding there 450's? it sounds like the chain is hitting the front sprocket guard or something like that. the chain isn't loose. maybe i will take the guard off and see if the noise stops.well it's either that or the valves . i'm hoping for the chain i really don't want to have to mess with the valves right now. it's made this noise since the first time i rode it. i think i heard another bike make the same noise on one of the home video's they shot but i'm not 100% certain.

• DennisT450

Posted March 14, 2003 - 01:51 PM

I heard it on mine also. I thought it sounded like it was coming from the rear.

• ekemner

Posted March 14, 2003 - 01:53 PM

Yea, I heard the same thing on my YZ450F when I first got it and it freaked me out. It is the chain slapping the chain guide on the swing arm. Tighten your chain to the max spec and it will stop.

Eric

:) :D

• tctrailrider

Posted March 14, 2003 - 04:25 PM

Thumper,
Sounds like the chain slapping on the swingarm slider. Check Motomans tech articles under faulty YZ swingarm slider, he of course has an easy fix. My 00 WR400 did this but the 02 WR426 has a built in rise in the slider to prevent this.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rich_in_Orlando

Posted March 14, 2003 - 05:41 PM

That picture on Motoman 393's website is of my swingarm. My bike ate swingarm guards every few months until I glued it down. I used Goop glue (it's like contact cement on steroids) on the top and bottom parts of the guard. Now I've had the same guard on for over a year with no noticeable wear.

Be careful tightening your chain too much. I have personally witnessed a motor and chain both being destroyed due to an overtight chain on a YZ426F.

• blue_beast_wins

Posted March 14, 2003 - 07:57 PM

Contact cement on steroids...........your killin me :D :) :D :D

• r1superstar

Posted March 15, 2003 - 05:23 AM

My buddies YZF450 made the same noise. He called the dealer and he is the third person to notice this noise. Apparently Yamaha has not made it public yet, but there may be a recall for the clutch basket, springs, or something. I suggest calling your dealer...................db :)

• ThumperWR450F

Posted March 15, 2003 - 11:52 AM

tightened the chain today click click click is gone !!

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 16, 2003 - 08:52 AM

Great thread!!! I been hearing that click,click,click for years... I guess I've been running my chain to loose... Just too lazy to figure it out. Thanks guys..

Dan

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.