why is all of my oil in my frame, and not in my motor after rebuild

9 replies to this topic
  • cammeddr-z

Posted June 03, 2009 - 10:26 PM

just like the title says, all of my oil is in the frame, and none i the motor..........here's the situation

i just replaced the cases and head on my 2004 wr450 i just bought it needing those. the chain broke and broke case, and when i pulled the cams out the intake cam journal was trashed (machine shop said one of the worst he's seen) being mislead by seller i ordered 07 cases cam and head which all seem to fit just fine when i swapped it all over, i rebuild the motor pull the plug on the left side of motor and dumped in 2 qts of oil (i wasn't sure of the actual capacity but 2ts seemed like enough but not too much for the maiden voyage) i hop on it to go ride it i rode it for about 10 miles, no leaks but i pulled the dipstick in the frame anyway, as soon as i cracked the threads on the dipstick it forcefully shot out and overflowed everywhere. maybe 1/4 quart was on the ground,

so i pulled the bottom drain plug..........nothing, barely a drizzle.

i popped of the clutch cover and the clutch discs are bone-dry, and black in places

whats going on here? did i miss something important? (i reallydon't think i did) :crazy:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 03, 2009 - 11:06 PM

Well, you put in too much oil, and you probably have a working oil pump but a clogged oil passages at the case transfer (banjo bolts must be used)
A 'little to much' oil is enough to blow a seal, so get a manual and follow it.

• matt4x4

Posted June 04, 2009 - 05:08 AM

Sounds like your oil pump is working since it pumped your sump dry and put the oil in the frame (that part is working) however, it seems your oil is NOT leaving your frame and oiling your motor as it should, so you will have to check/trace all oil passages down to your motor to see which one is not allowing oil to go through.
I am wondering if you possibly put a wrong bolt onto one of the external passages - the external passages need to be connected using Banjo bolts (special bolts drilled and machined to allow oil to flow around and through them) if you accidentally use a normal bolt, you end up blocking that passage.

• Diabs

Posted June 04, 2009 - 06:11 AM

Thers also a oil filter just b4 or is it after the frame cooling???( I just got my bike too..)

If it is after or on the way out of frame cooling...that may be plugged?

• ncampion

Posted June 04, 2009 - 06:16 AM

There must be some oil circulating in the engine as the plain cam bearings and the cam lobes themselves would not last for ten miles with no oil. Check the things noted in the other posts, but don't ride it till you find out what's going on or you will be buying another head for sure.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cammeddr-z

Posted June 04, 2009 - 06:42 AM

(banjo bolts must be used)

the external passages need to be connected using Banjo bolts (special bolts drilled and machined to allow oil to flow around and through them) if you accidentally use a normal bolt, you end up blocking that passage.

this is the fifth time or so i have done a total engine rebuild (i.e. splitting cases etc) and yes guys i know what a banjo bolt is but my oil lines are connected with a 6mm bolt holding a machined female hole over a dowel pin with an o-ring as shown here: http://www.ronniesma...=2004&fveh=1249

i also agree that the cam wouldn't have lasted 10 miles without oil, but i do remember it taking a few kicks to start back up before i checked the oil (it started first kick when i firt hopped on) maybe the oil starvation problem was what ate the cam journals the first time :crazy:

• matt4x4

Posted June 04, 2009 - 07:56 AM

Pic isn't coming up right now for me on Ronnie's but I know what you mean - that's just a couple of the lines though, a couple of other ones use typical banjo bolts.

My suggestion would be:
Take off all external lines one at a time and blow them out using compressed air - blow them out into a bucket to see if they contained any crap until you are sure they are all clear and have found crap.

Your cases and head should be fine (no plugged passages) since they were replaced and are no longer old suspect parts, however, take your lid off and check how the cams/lobes/bearings/journals are looking after your 10 mile trip because you might be doing another rebuild......

Also check your frame filter (bottom of frame) it might be plugged....

Essentially - you WILL need to check that every oil line external to the bike is free of debris - you might want to check what you can internally too - there is an internal oil delivery pipe (brass I think) that also matters, plus, check everything in the oil filter area.

• cammeddr-z

Posted June 04, 2009 - 11:12 AM

there is an internal oil delivery pipe (brass I think) that also matters

yeah it goes in from the clutch side through the case to the mag side, its there, and the o-rings are intact, what i am thinking is that there is a hole in the outside bearing race on the main shaft, mag side, that is supposed to line up with an oil port, which then pumps oil through the man shaft and into the clutch........maybe in all of my heating the case and pounding in the bearing, it may have rotated just enough to not line up

• Nacho1741

Posted November 08, 2009 - 04:00 PM

ok question!!! we just bought a yz250f and we were about to change the oil and the manual shows theres oil in the frame... why is this?? rust prevention :smirk:?

• rufusz

Posted November 10, 2009 - 04:55 AM

ok question!!! we just bought a yz250f and we were about to change the oil and the manual shows theres oil in the frame... why is this?? rust prevention :smirk:?

Weight reduction probably and/or cooling.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.