Calories burned while trail riding

10 replies to this topic
  • NorCalRider

Posted June 03, 2009 - 08:49 PM

I can burn about 2,000 calories on a mountain bike ride that is 2 - 3 hours long. I burn just under 1,000 calories when I run for 3 miles every other day.

How many calories do you think you burn while aggresively trail riding at a fast pace for most of day?

I've been thinking about wearing a heart rate monitor while riding and see what I come up with. :crazy:

• Jackary

Posted June 03, 2009 - 08:59 PM

Here is WARP speed on responses to this topic. Bottom line is that it depends on many factors.....figure 1000- 2000 calories / hour depending on your current weight and your intensity. The link below gives a lot of good information along with some humor thrown in.

http://www.district3...ead.php?t=29615

• cleonard

Posted June 03, 2009 - 11:08 PM

It really varies. For me aerobic capacity is my limiting factor. I'm sure this is true for just about everyone unless you are some kind of ironman machine. For me that number is surely less that 1000 cal/hr.

• shifterpilot2001

Posted June 04, 2009 - 07:36 AM

My guess is about 450 to 600 per hour at an aggressive "A" pace... I think that is pretty close for me anyway, for I need to consume about 300 calories an hour while riding to keep up with my bodies use at roughly 75 % replacement. Even with that when I get back to the truck after a 75 mile plus ride I am pretty worked...and when I dont keep that consumption up, I come back with headache, can barely think straight, no energy whatsoever and have to ride the last hour and a half or so in survival mode...LOL... so total for a 90 mile plus day, roughly 3000 give or take a few, depending on how many times you gotta pick up your bike and how many kicks to start her...:crazy:

• bbolton

Posted June 04, 2009 - 02:07 PM

I can burn about 2,000 calories on a mountain bike ride that is 2 - 3 hours long. I burn just under 1,000 calories when I run for 3 miles every other day.

How many calories do you think you burn while aggresively trail riding at a fast pace for most of day?

I've been thinking about wearing a heart rate monitor while riding and see what I come up with. :crazy:

Your calorie burn seems quite extensive. I'm 38 & 180 lbs & I'm in really good shape. I can't get anywhere near 1000 calorie burn on a 3 mile run. My average burn for 3 mls is about half of that. I only run between 9.5 & 11 minute miles thou

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bluemax250

Posted June 05, 2009 - 07:47 AM

I would have to agree with the 400-500 calorie range.
Hard mountain biking about 700-900.
Hard running about the same as biking. (For me at least)

• NorCalRider

Posted June 05, 2009 - 09:40 AM

You guys should try out fitday.com's calorie tracker and plug in your height, weight, age and see how many calories you burn during different activities. Livestrong has one on their site too.

I always get mixed results, obviously wearing a heart rate monitor would be much more accurate.

• paul_arc

Posted June 05, 2009 - 12:35 PM

How do you figure how many calories you burn? it would depend on how hot it is also. Well I on the other hand dont burn any calories, I just hold on and let the bike do the work:ride:

• NorCalRider

Posted June 05, 2009 - 02:05 PM

The most accurate way is to wear a heart rate monitor. You put a strap around your chest, then you wear a device on your wrist that wirelessly receives signals from the chest strap. You plug in your sex, age, weight, height and the heart rate monitor automatically figures out what your calorie burn is.

• ktmcasey

Posted June 06, 2009 - 06:32 AM

I have worn my HR monitor on a couple of moto rides just to see the diff between moto and mtb. Between 600 and 700 per hr on good tech single track at a crisp pace. I burn about 1000 per hr on both the mountain and rode bikes. During a xc mtb race my rate goes up to about 1150 per hr. I recently did a 50 mi endurence mtb ride and burned over 5500 cals in 5.5 hrs.

Last years Downieville XC race burned about 4400 cals for the race and must have consumed 5000 after to feel slightly ok again. That is a hard freakin climb up the to the top of the buttes and the climb up to third is a bitch at that point of the race.

I also wore my hr monitor last year when we were in Whistler and to my suprise the calories consumed per hr while DHing were roughly the same as Moto.

• NorCalRider

Posted June 06, 2009 - 02:39 PM

Now that's the info I'm looking for. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
California

Sunday Dec 21st by Jeff aka Travolta

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  34 replies
Forums
Photo
California-Southern

Friday Ride by PALMER84ONE

• 8 replies
Forums
Photo

Oceano Dunes by jpninerfan

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo
California-Southern

Location TBD: Sunday Dec 28 2014 by Jeff aka Travolta

• 16 replies
Forums
Photo
California-Southern

Places to ride by blueovalbleeder

• 15 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.