yzf 426 as a street legal motard

3 replies to this topic
  • bujanda

Posted June 03, 2009 - 07:00 PM

There is a guy who is selling me a 01 yzf426 for 800, it comes with Marchesini wheels and is converted. It was used as a track bike only. The motor needs new cams and head work needed.

I guess my main question is once I get the bike running what am I looking at for maintenance.
I plan on running it from my town to the city which is 45 mile round trip. I have a cbr I run everyday and want something different.
I have heard things like every other day I will have to change the oil and that in 20 hours I will have to rebuild the top end. How accurate is this?
Should I stay away from this completely?

Some say that tons of people run this type of bike with no problems. I really need some solid advice!

thanks ahead of time!

• swatdoc

Posted June 03, 2009 - 08:10 PM

those statements are not accurate at all. Maintenence WILL be higher than for a cbr, which was designed as a street bike. the yz is a bke designed for racing - period. that said, the yz is probably the best of the big 4 to convert to street use, due to the reliability of the 5 valve heads. you'll probably have to do half, if that, of the valve adjustments you would for the other jap bikes. change your oil once a month, and check your valves at the same time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nwbikerider

Posted June 03, 2009 - 08:20 PM

snatch it up. the marchesini's are worth almost double the $800 price alone.

• vtwinjunkie

Posted June 05, 2009 - 10:44 AM

I will take it if you dont want it!

Related Content

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.