sort of dumb carb question (overflow from hell!)

I bought a wr426 that I'd been having trouble starting so I did the usual,drained the bowl, fresh fuel, checked the air filter and a fresh plug.

Anyway, the the screw to empty the bowl seems to not be able to be tightened enough to close again. total PITA! so, for the time being I popped a clamp on that overflow hose. now the other hoses start pissing fuel!

Is there something I'm missing here? usually I'd be thinking stuck float but prior to draining the thing it was not leaking.

any suggestions prior to having to rip the thing apart are welcome. particularly issues specific to this carb.

ahh, sort of confused though as I have not taken it apart

could they fall out from backing out the screw too much that I assume was the screw to drain the carb?

I believe it would be 61 in your exploded view.

ahh, sort of confused though as I have not taken it apart

could they fall out from backing out the screw too much that I assume was the screw to drain the carb?

I believe it would be 61 in your exploded view.

No, but the pin holding the float can come out if your float is bent.

Just loosen the boot clamps, rotate the carb as much as you can (it helps to lay the bike on it's side) and take off the float bowl and have a look.

your needle and float could be damaged, or worn out.

you could also have some dirt or debris in the float valve.

if you just bought it, i would just take the carb off and give it a good cleaning.

I've had this before. For some reason the float gets stuck fully open when you drain the bowl completely. Try tapping the side of the carb with the handle of a screwdriver, that's usually enough to unstuck the float and the leak should stop.

I would remove float bowl and float, clean with crc maf cleaner , especially the needle and needle seat, dry with compressed air and reassemble. you should be good if it still leaks check float height and or call sudco and get a stock needle and needle seat.

I've had this before. For some reason the float gets stuck fully open when you drain the bowl completely. Try tapping the side of the carb with the handle of a screwdriver, that's usually enough to unstuck the float and the leak should stop.

you sir are experiencing exactly what I am.

I tapped it and it closed, I drained it again to see if it was repeatable and it did it again.

I'll get around to cleaning it, hate cracking open carbs though

The odd thing is, cleaning it doesn't seem to help (at least for me). I've had my carb apart several times and each time I've cleaned it meticulously, but it still does it when I put it back together. Maybe something's worn a little funny causing it to jam fully open I dunno, all I know is how to fix it ?.

Make sure the needle under the float moves freely. If it has been sitting, I bet it is getting stuck holding the float open. #25 in the exploded diagram. Take it all apart and give it a good cleaning. It should feel like it slides in and out freely.

My 01 RM250 does this ALL THE TIME !!!

but only after ive done something with the carb.

what i did was i bent the little thing that holds the needle

in place so it was shutting off at the right time.

Also what you can do is(with the bowl off) blow on the main fuel line that goes into the carb and slowly lift up the float. If you cant blow anymore its all good, if its leaking a little bit, keep trying. While blowing on it, give it an extra hard blow and see if any dirt comes out, mine had quiet a bit of dirt right where the needle sits.

Hope this helps