YZ450F Steering Frozen

I have been storing my 07' YZ450F on a stand with the suspension fully in tension and after a couple of weeks, the steering is frozen. I can work it loose, but I it feels really tight and takes a few turns of the bars to get it loosened up. Am I damaging the bearings by keeping the bike on the stand for so long? Anybody have any similar experiences before I tear down the front end and inspect the bearings??

The steering stem bearings in the new yammies are junk. They have an updated part number with a better seal on the top bearing.

I just replaced both upper and lower on my 06. The bearings were completely rusted and the races were pitted.

It probably could have been avoided but I power wash after every ride and didn't realize it was an issue.

I'm sure Gray will have a part number for ya!

You are not damaging them by storing them like that...they just needed to be serviced (cleaned and greased) beforehand. The Yamaha steering bearings are very susceptible to getting water in them from washing and when the bike sat for awhile the corrosion froze them up.

The '06's had a big problem with this but they redesigned the upper seal for '07 so you already have the 'good' one.

Disassemble and give them a good cleaning/regreasing...if the bearings or races are pitted you might consider replacement.

The bearings are not junk.

The upper seal, on the other hand....

It worked fine on the steel bikes, but the aluminum steering head is different, and the seal is,...well, "inadequate" is a polite word.

The new upper bearing is 93332-00078-00

It has a seal incorporated into the bearing itself. Use it with a high grade Marine grease that contains moly, and try to keep water off the steering head when you wash.

The '06's had a big problem with this but they redesigned the upper seal for '07 so you already have the 'good' one.

Not necessarily. They did redesign the upper bearing, but it went into the production run in the middle of the year somewhere. Not all '07's have it. Then too, with the "light" application (being polite again) of grease the factory installs it with, a pressure washer could still overwhelm it. The seal is still the same, even in the '09. If it works better, it would have to be because they recut the top of the bearing pocket in the frame.

I have been storing my 07' YZ450F on a stand with the suspension fully in tension and after a couple of weeks, the steering is frozen. I can work it loose, but I it feels really tight and takes a few turns of the bars to get it loosened up. Am I damaging the bearings by keeping the bike on the stand for so long? Anybody have any similar experiences before I tear down the front end and inspect the bearings??

yes I have. You either have zero grease left on them or the top bearings will probably be rusted. I would purchase the new top/upper bearing - use Greys supplied part number and replace. Water is the culprit and I suggest checking / repacking them every 15hrs. Do not forget to check/repack the lowers either.

If you feel any notchiness while turning the handlebars back and forth the rases (I can never spell this right) are shot

Always replace bearings and rases together as a set

The new upper bearing is 93332-00078-00

Have they replaced the older part number? When I look in the Fische for my 06 YZ450F, the top bearing shows as the above part number (same number for 07 and 08).

Does anyone know if the aftermarket has followed suit and used the newer design? (Pivot Works, All Balls, etc.)