Whhich stroke am I on

14 replies to this topic
  • ripped_78

Posted June 03, 2009 - 05:26 AM

I am replacing the cams on my 2000 426 and I have lost which stroke I'm on. I know I'm supposed to be at top dead center but how do I find out which top dead center I want to be at. The Honda has two slashes on the fly wheel and another slash on the clutch side once they are lined up then you set the cams. Does the 426 have any thing like that I have the slashes lined up on the flywheel and the straw is at its highest point but how do I know I'm not 180 degrees off.

• cwf340

Posted June 03, 2009 - 05:32 AM

it wont matter if your 180 off, once they are set it it will be at tdc. 180 off only matters in a car with a dist. type ignition system. so just line up the marks and put it together. dont forget to check your valve lash with the new cams.

• grayracer513

Posted June 03, 2009 - 05:58 AM

Both TDC's are the same until the cams go in. The ignition fires every time around, and it's the cams that make one TDC different than the other.

• ripped_78

Posted June 03, 2009 - 07:26 AM

So I just line the "I" up and set the cams and that's all there is to it?

• spark250

Posted June 03, 2009 - 07:30 AM

yep, that is correct

• ripped_78

Posted June 03, 2009 - 04:17 PM

how does this look before I button it up?
Posted Image
Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted June 03, 2009 - 04:51 PM

Looks wrong, actually.

It's hard to tell for sure, because of the shadow that falls right over where the dot should be, but the intake looks like it might be right. The exhaust is too far advanced by one tooth, though.

At TDC, the dot by the "I" on the intake cam, and the dot by the "E" on the exhaust should line up with the gasket surface of the head. Your "E" doesn't.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • buzzgrizz

Posted June 03, 2009 - 04:55 PM

Looks to me like there both off one tooth. The dots should be parallel to the top of the head.

• grayracer513

Posted June 03, 2009 - 05:04 PM

Looks to me like there both off one tooth. The dots should be parallel to the top of the head.

It's tough, but you have to take into account the fact the the picture is taken from a slightly higher than ideal angle. Notice that cross checking the pin count between cams shows 14 pins between cams, which is one too many. But that means only one cam can be one tooth off, too.

The other thing that we all know if we've done this before is how easily the engine moves away from TDC when we're tugging on the cams. It may not have been dead on when the picture was taken.

• jrny426

Posted June 03, 2009 - 05:15 PM

Next Question where's the auto decomp? ...I mean its apart anyway

• ripped_78

Posted June 03, 2009 - 06:44 PM

I I moved everything one tooth
Posted Image

• ripped_78

Posted June 03, 2009 - 06:48 PM

Next Question where's the auto decomp? ...I mean its apart anyway

I want to get it running first I got it for a couple hundred because the guy couldn't get it started. I checked to valves first and the cams looked way off so I am trying to fix that first.

• grayracer513

Posted June 03, 2009 - 09:49 PM

I I moved everything one tooth
Posted Image

That looks right.

• Kyledvor61

Posted June 09, 2009 - 06:30 PM

2nd pic looks correct. you get it fired yet?

• ripped_78

Posted June 10, 2009 - 04:47 AM

yeah she fired right up and now I'm tackling the carb because it seems to want to leak.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.