lowering bike

7 replies to this topic
  • MOTOBUTCHER

Posted June 02, 2009 - 02:32 PM

i have a o4,yamaha450 yzf. i need to know how to lower the bike, i want to do it myself

• MuDPoUNdeR

Posted June 02, 2009 - 04:45 PM

http://www.dirtrider...?threadid=5236
referrerid=16241

May have to find some new springs or cut your existing springs. I don't know how trusty this company is but they make a New link that will lower your bike 1.75'' in the rear.

http://www.motorcycl...a-lowering-link

• Ztard

Posted June 03, 2009 - 03:34 AM

Take an electric carving knife to the seat.....it's how i did mine...then you are not messing with suspension goemetry...cheap too:thumbsup:
Posted Image

• MuDPoUNdeR

Posted June 03, 2009 - 06:19 AM

Isn't that a pretty rough ride on your butt? haha Least on dirt it is. I don't like the stock seat on the YZ426 to much but it is a MX bike ... so can't expect one either :crazy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dankman

Posted June 03, 2009 - 06:56 AM

that looks pretty cool on the supermoto...

i shaved the seat down on my yz250 when i had it...for off road, i didn't like it...i couldn't move forward and backward on the seat too much as i found myself sliding back to the low part...also, i was low on the bike while sitting, making it a funky sitting to standing transition while riding...just a thought.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 03, 2009 - 12:51 PM

I think Devol makes a lowering link

• YamaLink

Posted June 03, 2009 - 02:09 PM

Options to lowering are as follows:

shave seat....pros are that it does not alter suspension leverage or geometry; con is your butt is closer to uncomfortable frame, peg to seat distance can be uncomfortable for some over extended periods of riding and you may have to buy new seat come resale time.

have suspension shop use spacers ...pros are it does not alter suspension leverage and is easily reversible, you have that local person-to-person contact (if indeed a local shop is doing it) to talk things over should your needs change; con is you lose travel.

lowering link... pros (if the link has an increased leverage ratio) is you get better traction and plushness over small stuff like braking bumps and square edge holes, the bike turns better, you gain travel (contrary to popular belief of losing travel), is easily reversible, meaning, you can take it off yourself in about 5 minutes come resale time. Cons are it alters geometry and the forks have to be raised in the clamps so your bike doesn't turn like a Mississippi tugboat,, sag must be reset, ie, it is not for bolt-on artists who do not want to dial in their suspension, and if you are on the border of needing a heavier spring for your riding weight you will definitely need one with a lowering link (with increased leverage, of course, there are some with decreased leverage) because leverage - what is helping your rear wheel travel through the arc - is increased by approximately 7% and you will bottom easier (which is offset by fine tuning with high speed compression knob.

• shawnbo

Posted June 03, 2009 - 02:09 PM

Don't do it! Its way to pricey and you get little gain. I've seen guys 5'2" ride these bikes. You just need to get used to it. Cutting the seat is the easier thing to do if you must.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.