Carb tweeking after Hot Cam install?

5 replies to this topic
  • bultaco

Posted June 02, 2009 - 12:45 PM

I installed an autodecompression exhaust cam in my 1999 WR 400F. Easy now to push starter down...just that the prior carb settings are not quite right...Could the new piston pressure/air/fuel mixture while starting require new settings? It takes about 30-40 kicks to get it started...same once warm and trying to start again after shut down. A remote fuel screw was installed on the carb at the same time...not sure if it is seated exactly as the prior screw.:crazy:

Thanks for any help.

• William1

Posted June 02, 2009 - 01:00 PM

If the problem does not care if the bike is warm or cold, I suggest first confirming valve clearances are correct. Confirm them, do not assume.
Then, I'd confirm the spring/washer and oring are on the fuel screw, then I'd try the original one.

• bultaco

Posted June 02, 2009 - 02:18 PM

This is the fuel screw which replaced the original one...joe

http://www.rockymoun...dFamilyId=22925

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rich1167

Posted June 02, 2009 - 03:34 PM

Could be that your getting too much decomp from the cam.

• Birdy426

Posted June 02, 2009 - 04:18 PM

I didn't have to make any jetting changes when I went to the hot cams auto decomp cam on my 426. Agree with William1, check the clearence. Hard starting as you describe is usually a valves hangin open a bit issue...

• William1

Posted June 02, 2009 - 04:42 PM

Far as I know, that screw is supposed to be OK. I'll ask a dumb question that has to be asked. When you took your old screw out, you removed the spring/washer/oring, put them on the new screw, right. I ask because sometimes they fall off and guys neglect to have them, in other instances, the oring has remained behind up in the hole and a second one ended up being installed.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.