Skid Plate.

12 replies to this topic
  • jim-in-so-ore

Posted March 14, 2003 - 05:04 AM

I finally got my skid plate. I got the one from Utah Sport Cycle. I looks like it provides ample protection and was not all that expensive. It is aluminum and has wings that guard the water pump on the one side and the stator housing on the other. It was real easy to install. Looks like a coal shovel but I don't care because it protects well. I had the same brand on my WR400 and never had a complaint.
Jim

• ddialogue

Posted March 14, 2003 - 05:23 AM

I use the same one. It's huge but is the best-fitting skid plate I have owned. Took a big hit Saturday and put a huge dent in it but it did it's job. I'll be taking a sledge hammer to it shortly... :)

• ZEKEDAWG

Posted March 14, 2003 - 09:05 AM

Jim,
I have the same one, got it from some guy in oregon.

• adamwagar

Posted March 14, 2003 - 09:18 AM

"Jim,
I have the same one, got it from some guy in oregon."

www.utahsportcycle.com

:) :D :D

• ZEKEDAWG

Posted March 14, 2003 - 10:58 AM

"Jim,
I have the same one, got it from some guy in oregon."

It is jim's old skid plate which came on the bike I bought from him.

• ckulzer

Posted March 14, 2003 - 12:51 PM

Adam,
Thanks for the link. I just bought the last skid plate on the shelf.
I am stocking up for the WR. I have ordered ProTapers, hand guards & deflectors, frame guards, skid plate, exhaust insert, rear disk guard, radiator guards, hour meter, and 2 new air filters.

Now, if I could just get my bike…..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xr600r

Posted March 14, 2003 - 02:12 PM

How come utah sport cycle doesnt have the wr450 on their web site ?

• adamwagar

Posted March 14, 2003 - 02:52 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe Dave at WR450.com could show them how a digital camera works. :)

• xr600r

Posted March 14, 2003 - 03:03 PM

I have been doing alot of surfing , and nobody seems to have much of anything for the 450's yet.

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted March 14, 2003 - 04:06 PM

I have been trying to get Plastic frame guards but no one makes them yet. I tried using the ones off of my WR400 and the one from the right side fit fine but the left one didn't fit at all.
I checked the Utah Sport Cycle web site too and you are correct It is not listed.. I got mine from Steahly Off Road.
Jim

• jeff_eugene_or

Posted March 15, 2003 - 05:28 PM

Hey Jim,
Could you give me some more info on this plate? I bought the Devol one and I don't like it. The alluminum is too thin and weak. I bent it on my first ride.
Also, thanks for the Power Now info. I bought one and like it.
Jeff

• ddialogue

Posted March 16, 2003 - 05:19 AM

This is why I bought the Utah Sport Cycle skid plate and send that wimpy, GYT-R glide plate back. :)

Dent--inside shot
Dent--outside shot

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted March 16, 2003 - 10:07 AM

Jeff,
The Utah Sport Cycle skid plate is made from Hardened 3/16 aluminum plate and wraps up to protect both the water pump on the right side and the stator housing on the left, plus the frame rails all the way back beyond the oil drain plug.. Really good coverage.. The only part that I am not crazy about is the rear mounting method, 2 u shaped clamps that fall off each time you remove the skid plate. It goes up in the front all the way to protect the oil lines from the frame..Very well thought out.
Jim

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.