Stock vs. Aftermarket Springs

10 replies to this topic
  • PowerBomb

Posted June 02, 2009 - 06:41 AM

Being a 220lbs rider, I am looking for heavier springs. I found some fork springs from Race Tech but I am still looking for a shock spring. I was looking at the Race Tech website and it appears a 5.4 would be a good fit. Now the WR426 has a 5.2 stock but the YZ426F has a 5.4 stock.

Do you think the stock YZ 5.4 spring would fit and would it work well with the Race Tech fork springs I already bought? Is there a difference in quality between the stock springs and Race Tech?

Thanks for your input,
Brian

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted June 02, 2009 - 07:38 AM

Are you 220 with or without gear. Me and my wallet have been through this a few times already.

If you are 220, without gear, then you should be looking at a 5.8 for the rear. I weighed the same and tried the 5.6 and it was too soft. I would feel the stress in my lower back all the time.

I now weight 205 without gear and about 230 with gear and I like the 5.8 much better. I ride desert, climb hills, pound whoops, smash rocks, etc... I hate the flat smooth trails, just to give you an idea of what I ride .

Based on my preferences, I think you'll need at least a 5.6, maybe a 5.8

good luck...

• SJMC_DON

Posted June 02, 2009 - 07:43 AM

If you are 220, without gear, then you should be looking at a 5.8 for the rear. I weighed the same and tried the 5.6 and it was too soft. I would feel the stress in my lower back all the time.

+ 1 - I bounce around from 205 - 220 (depends on whether or not the last race season included surgery:busted:).

Anyway - I had the 5.6 on my 04' and while it was an improvement I thought it was still too soft. I decided on the 5.8 on the next bike and have been happy ever since I can accurately set the race sag at any weight in my "range"...:crazy:

• PowerBomb

Posted June 02, 2009 - 07:53 AM

I am 220 without gear. I have an 02 426 which, according to race tech, has a weaker stock spring than the 450's. If I was riding a 450, RT suggests a 5.68 spring.
So the newer bikes have a heavy spring to begin with. Do still think I should go with a 5.6 or 5.8?

Thanks guys for your help!

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted June 02, 2009 - 08:14 AM

Do yourself a favor and go with 5.8 in the rear and .48 springs up front. When I got my bike I went to the race tech site and it recommended a 5.6 and .46 set of springs.

Those are too soft. I ended up changing and keep the lighter springs for the day when I loose some weight. It's been a couple of years, but I still have hope!

You gotta get that rear correct. I think the WR's need the correct rear spring and no more than 100mm of sag. Then it will turn.

What springs did you get for the front? You have the older 46mm forks. They are good but must be revalved IMO.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GCannon

Posted June 02, 2009 - 08:15 AM

Are you 220 with or without gear. Me and my wallet have been through this a few times already.

I now weight 205 without gear and about 230 with gear and I like the 5.8 much better. I ride desert, climb hills, pound whoops, smash rocks, etc... I hate the flat smooth trails, just to give you an idea of what I ride .

Based on my preferences, I think you'll need at least a 5.6, maybe a 5.8

good luck...

+1 this is good advice right here. I ended up with the same setup I also have a heavy backpack when taking off on long all day rides. you wont regret the heavier spring front and rear.

Keep in mind that the damping in both the fork and shock is designed to control both your weight and the SPRING forces. That being said do yourself a favor and get the forks and shock revalved and serviced. while you have them out. suck it up spend the money you will be soooo happy you did.

Revalving is even more critical if you have an older 426 instead of a newer 450

but still you will be happy you did.

• ww44wrf450f

Posted June 02, 2009 - 08:38 AM

I put a 5.8 race tech in my 06, and I average 220lbs. w.o. gear, and could have gone to a 6, with less preload? I used left over straps with my ratcheting tie-downs to take it apart and together again. 4.8 works connection in the front with 7.5 w oil. To be honest I wish I had a set of newer yz legs on the front. But it was huge improvement over stock :crazy:

• SXP

Posted June 02, 2009 - 01:14 PM

When I weighed 255 lbs+ I used a 6.3 kg/mm spring in order to keep the right sag without preloading the spring past 15 mm.

Now, at approx 225 lbs, I use a 6.0 spring on the 07, and 5.8's on the 99s.

The spring rates I list above factor in the tools/gear/backpack/100 oz camelback, which substantially increases my riding weight. So keep that in mind when considering my recommendations.

• kawi380

Posted June 02, 2009 - 01:26 PM

I only weigh in at 160, 170 with gear. Only did a revalve and use the stockers with no problems on my 08

• PowerBomb

Posted June 02, 2009 - 03:46 PM

Thanks guys for all the reponses. I bought .48 for up front. I am trying to stay on a budget so I think I will wait on the revalve.

Having already bought Race Techs for the forks, should I stick with RT for the rear or should I consider mixing brands to save a few pennys?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted June 02, 2009 - 06:14 PM

Thanks guys for all the reponses. I bought .48 for up front. I am trying to stay on a budget so I think I will wait on the revalve.

Having already bought Race Techs for the forks, should I stick with RT for the rear or should I consider mixing brands to save a few pennys?

A spring is a spring, assuming its a correct one.

Call smart performance (www.smartperformanceinc.com) and get some of his suspension fluid. It makes things smoother. Read up on it in the suspension forum.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.