Yamaha WR450F..street and trail kit

15 replies to this topic
  • jordan450

Posted June 01, 2009 - 01:33 PM

I am buying a new WR this month. I do alot of trail riding and also alot of ridin on the road but where i live you need to have turn signals and mirrors.
Does anyone know if they make a street and trail kit they make for this bike that has a switch for the turn signals Or give me some other ideas to make this a good bike for the road too.

• SJMC_DON

Posted June 01, 2009 - 02:49 PM

I think in CA you cannot get the bike plated....

To answer your question - Yes, a few companies make plug and play DS kits for the WR450... sicass racing and baja designs to name two.

BUT... I am pretty sure you will not be able to plate it if you live in CA.:crazy:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted June 01, 2009 - 04:34 PM

I think in CA you cannot get the bike plated....

BUT... I am pretty sure you will not be able to plate it if you live in CA.:crazy:

Both of these statements are correct

Since 2004, you can not plate a bike in CA:banghead:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 01, 2009 - 06:23 PM

Both of these statements are correct

Since 2004, you can not plate a bike in CA:banghead:

That's right. You just plain can't.

:crazy: :eek:

• KennyMc

Posted June 01, 2009 - 08:49 PM

That's right. You just plain can't.

:eek: :lol:

Words of wisdom right there.:crazy:

• ez__rider

Posted June 02, 2009 - 03:32 AM

What if he buys a used one that is already plated?
Maybe even from out of state?

Or what if someone moves to CA from out of state with their bike already plated in their name?

• William1

Posted June 02, 2009 - 03:54 AM

If it is already plated and an 2004 or older, then he'll probably be Ok otherwise, he is SOL (Not Standards Of Learning either).

• Dube2

Posted June 02, 2009 - 07:34 AM

I am buying a new WR this month. I do alot of trail riding and also alot of ridin on the road but where i live you need to have turn signals and mirrors.
Does anyone know if they make a street and trail kit they make for this bike that has a switch for the turn signals Or give me some other ideas to make this a good bike for the road too.

If you need to have a Dual Sport, think about the WR250R factory DS. Nice bike. FMF makes a few mods for it that make a big difference in power and permormance. I hear most of the guys that have it really glad they do. I nearly bought the WR250X(supermoto) myself. Hopefully Yam will come out with the 450X? Go to the Yamaha Dual Sport thread and see what I'm talking about. Legal in Cal ta-boot:ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GCannon

Posted June 02, 2009 - 10:08 AM

Isn't the OP in Canada?

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted June 02, 2009 - 10:18 AM

If it is already plated and an 2004 or older, then he'll probably be Ok

Actually, CA still wont accept it becaust it does not meet on road emissions.

• SJMC_DON

Posted June 02, 2009 - 11:15 AM

I could have sworn his original post showed his location in CA:excuseme:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted June 02, 2009 - 03:27 PM

I could have sworn his original post showed his location in CA:excuseme:

It did!

• beezer

Posted June 02, 2009 - 03:43 PM

maybe he moved.

• Actn 17

Posted June 02, 2009 - 05:27 PM

I live in NB Canada, and own a street plated WR (04), and you don't need blinkers but you do need a mirror, among other things. You can buy the kits as mentioned before, but you can do it yourself for easily half of what a kit costs. As crazy as it sounds it's hit or miss here in nb, depends who you get at the dmv. I've looked into it and found no laws stopping you, only selfserving officials.

another .02

• skijet231

Posted June 13, 2009 - 04:27 AM

Just an FYI...in KS you can NOT make these bikes street legal either. I've tried 2 different inspection stations, and both flat out wouldn't let it by. Because the mfg said it was for "off road use only," regardless of kits put on it, you just can't be street legal. I tried going through the custom build route...not happening either. All the highway patrol/DMV websites make it sound like a motorcycle can be if it has blinkers, DOT tires...but no...once you spend $$ on a bike, THEN you find out you can't inspect it. Ridiculous

• Rider42

Posted June 14, 2009 - 02:56 PM

With all the new and soon to be laws in Ca., people won't be able to ride anywhere in this tree hugging state. This state SUCKS!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.