Running weird.

5 replies to this topic
  • chevy power

Posted June 01, 2009 - 10:51 AM

Background:
Ive made a few threads about this bike. Ive got the carb dialed in, I have a slight back fire on decel no bog or hesitation though. I went riding saturday, rode some trails and hit the track for the first time. After a half day of riding the thing died out. It acted like it was running out of gas, I checked the tank breather, and the normal things. I rode it today around a field by my house, once it gets hot it dies when you give it gas, it will idle and die if you give it any gas above idle.

I think it might be the valves, I have adjusted them and they were in spec before the last ride, its an 03 so I have a feeling it might need some head work, I did how ever look at the head and the valves appeared okay from pics I have seen on the site.

Jetting is.
50 pilot
165 main.
4th clip on needle and 0-3000ft elevation im in ohio.

Any things I should try to check out, I will check the valves after it cools down. But im looking for some suggestions on what could be going on.

• William1

Posted June 01, 2009 - 11:43 AM

Sounds like it is electrical - in order of probability:
Crank position sensor
Coil
CDI

• chevy power

Posted June 02, 2009 - 01:03 PM

Im not seeing the crank position sensor in the book.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • chevy power

Posted June 04, 2009 - 09:36 AM

The valves checked out good, and the coil I dont think my ohm meter has the correct value to check the secondary coil resistance. The primary checks out okay, I cant get continuity on the first one at all. And the CPS I cant find. I will tear into the carb again to double check that.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 04, 2009 - 03:36 PM

Sounds like it is electrical - in order of probability:
Crank position sensor
Coil
CDI

+1

YOU HAVE TO TEST THE PARTS WHEN COLD, AND THEN AGAIN WHEN HOT to locate the problem.

• chevy power

Posted June 06, 2009 - 05:59 PM

I swapped coils with my buddy from his YFZ. Figured the problem out its the coil, secondary coil resistance is the same hot/cold on both of them. I still wasnt able to get a reading for the primary resistance (damn meter).

Thanks

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.