09 yz450f stator question (swatdoc?)

29 replies to this topic
  • 1genr6

Posted June 01, 2009 - 08:13 AM

hey i just posted this up on smj hopefully someone can give me some advice:

iv got an 09 yz450 and i know that i have to change out the crank because of the flywheel if i want to go with a wr stator, but my question (after some searching) is: whats the deal with the compatibility of yfz 450 quad parts? and while im at it, im sure its totaly cost innefective, but how about using the fuel injection from an 09 yfz? just brainstorming here, but surely someone must know.

• grayracer513

Posted June 01, 2009 - 08:28 AM

The quad crank is significantly different, and I would not attempt to use it. If the quad flywheel fits the WR crank (it's a component of the FI system), you might have a start there, but before you consider an FI conversion, you might want to run down the prices of the components you'll need. You may find that piecing it together is prohibitively expensive.

When using the WR crank/flywheel/stator, some concession must be made to the AC only YZ CDI. The most practical solution is to use the CDI from a WR as well, and bypass the whole nightmare of isolating the AC/DC circuits from one another.

• 1genr6

Posted June 01, 2009 - 08:52 AM

i was really not interested in going fi on the yz, just wondering if it had ever been addressed. so anyhow, i have read the whole thread on the yz stators on here, but didnt someone get a stator from some company in the uk? if so how is it going so far? is the wr setup still the only reliable solution? has anyone ever gotten any success out of the moose setup? sorry for the 1000 questions.

• grayracer513

Posted June 01, 2009 - 10:14 AM

...but didnt someone get a stator from some company in the uk? if so how is it going so far?

http://www.thumperta...981#post8168981

• gdbarr1976

Posted June 01, 2009 - 11:02 AM

For what it is worth, I am the guy that put the wr ignition on his 08yz450f. So far it has been 100% reliable. Very happy with it so far.

But, one other consideration before doing this swap is how will it effect the resale value? Kinda worried about that. The moto guys won't want it and the wr guys will just get a wr. Something to think about before spending the money and time.

• grayracer513

Posted June 01, 2009 - 11:49 AM

What if you get a Desert Racer?

Modding a dirt bike never pays off in terms of adding to resale value, ever. The most you can expect as a return on your investment is that your bike will be more desirable than the next one, or will sell quicker.

• LumpyBoy

Posted June 01, 2009 - 12:04 PM

I just put the Proracing YZ stator on my '08 and it started right up. Time will tell whether it's really the Electrex stator and craps out. Proracing told me it was from a different European supplier. There are no markings on it so I can't confirm or deny. Electrex is supposed to be addressing the issue with its stators so maybe we'll have a reliable stator soon in any event. Seems that going the WR route would be best and then run a DC system. Doesn't seem like resale value should be affected all that much.

• swatdoc

Posted June 01, 2009 - 06:12 PM

you didn't happen to snap a pic before you put it in did you?
You're also running it DC, right, with a rectifier? Totally seperate circuits?

• 1genr6

Posted June 02, 2009 - 06:38 AM

hey lumpy, sorry i just posted in another thread, didnt see your reply. so how much time do you have on this setup so far? with the baja designs baja race kit that comes with 2 batts/ quick charger vs the non race w/ 1 batt and a regular charger, are you supposed to run both batts at the same time and still only put out 35w? or do you get 2 seperate batts where you can switch the one with the other when the first one starts to die? will i be able to wire in at least a brake/tail light+ possibly turn sigs? if i go this route, will i be looking at any extra hassle when getting it inspected for street vs having a more premanent setup?

• 1genr6

Posted June 02, 2009 - 06:45 AM

by the way, if i'm as "thrifty" as possible, whats the cheapest i'd be able to do the wr setup. thanks for the input guys. DJ

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • spinyard

Posted June 02, 2009 - 10:07 AM

When I first got my 06 I got the lakes and trails motorsports shop re wrap done as reccommendation by this site. I have to admit I was a little reluctant to modify my stock ignition system... I got the stator back after paying $240. It looked terrible, they used clear bathtub silicone on it definately not something that is good to have running in your motor. I immediately called them and asked if they were serious and that I wanted a refund. He told me sorry, no way. So after I got done stripping all the bathroom silicone off of it I put it in my bike. That's when I noticed the lighting coil wires were not wrapped tightly enough to clear the flywheel what a joke, so after re-rewrapping :crazy: it myself i finally got it to work. This held up for about two weeks, when i was in the middle of the desert and my bike slowly came to a stop... gues what was wrong the stator! I wish e line would make one for our bikes, but I hate the flywheel weight!

• grayracer513

Posted June 02, 2009 - 10:27 AM

by the way, if i'm as "thrifty" as possible, whats the cheapest i'd be able to do the wr setup. thanks for the input guys. DJ

If you have the wherewithal to do your own crank work, you can buy only the left axle and save some. But even then, you're looking at close to $900 without buying the harness, battery, regulator, or rectifier.

That includes the crank axle, flywheel, stator, cover, and CDI, at a discount.

• LumpyBoy

Posted June 02, 2009 - 06:11 PM

you didn't happen to snap a pic before you put it in did you?

I didn't, but the Proracing stator has dark colored insulation over the coils, as opposed to the Moose, which has light colored insulation. Also, the Proracing stator has the ground for the lighting coil (black) running through the 6 prong molex plug. The Moose stator has only 5 wires going into the plug and the two lighting coil wires are separate from the plug.

You're also running it DC, right, with a rectifier? Totally seperate circuits?

Correct. And a 5Ah Turn Tech Li-Iron battery.

so how much time do you have on this setup so far?

Approximately 10 minutes of neighborhood riding. I don't have my street plate yet.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted June 03, 2009 - 10:18 AM

Have you ever considered running a pure battery powered HID light and forgetting the whole WR crank/stator/Reg-rec fiasco? You can get yourself a bulb and ballast from Ebay for about $40 ($80 gets you a set of two). Both Trailtech and Baja Designs can set you up with the proper Li battery set and charger to get you plenty of night hours. I believe Trailtech sells the 6600 mah battery and charger for about $129. Just my .02, but I would buy that plus and extra battery and call it done.

http://trailtech.net...capacitors.html

• swatdoc

Posted June 03, 2009 - 12:36 PM

that's exactly what i'm doing now. ditched the aftermarket stators, put the stock one back in, and gonna run a trail-tech HID light powered strictly by a 5mah battery

• 1genr6

Posted June 03, 2009 - 03:38 PM

I was uncomfortable with the rechargeable battery option until i really thought about it. I mean, how often am I going to ride for more than 4 hrs straight? And I'm sure if I ever do, I'll need a serious break, probably long enough to get a full charge on a quick charger. Plus I can always do the extra battery option if I think it's going to be a long day. At this point, I would have to say that unless a very reliable option comes along SOON, this is what ill be doing. Thanks everybody for all of the input on a topic that has already been beat to death. DJ

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted June 03, 2009 - 04:32 PM

I was uncomfortable with the rechargeable battery option until i really thought about it. I mean, how often am I going to ride for more than 4 hrs straight? And I'm sure if I ever do, I'll need a serious break, probably long enough to get a full charge on a quick charger. Plus I can always do the extra battery option if I think it's going to be a long day. At this point, I would have to say that unless a very reliable option comes along SOON, this is what ill be doing. Thanks everybody for all of the input on a topic that has already been beat to death. DJ

Not to mention that if you go hid, the lower draw per output, is much more favorable. If you run a lot of tight single track for extended time periods at night where you aren't using a whole lot of rpm, sometimes the stator will not be able to keep up with the draw and take it straight out of the battery anyway. Converting a non e-start bike to run hid means that you have to introduce at least a small nicad battery into the equation and low rpm running will suck it dry in pretty short order as the stator won't keep up. Just one reason why I like the idea of the new fangled Li battery packs running the hid and just swapping out the batteries as needed. Most people would not need more than two batteries for an average ride I would think.

• grayracer513

Posted June 03, 2009 - 04:59 PM

Depends on the battery. 35 watts at 12 volts is just under 3 amps, so if you want 2 hrs run time, you need at least 6 Amp hours (or 6000 mAh). Plus, HID's are an ionized arc type of lamp, and will draw close to 10 amps at startup, then settle down as the arc ionizes, so the power source will have to have the ability to produce that kind of maximum current for up to a minute. And, at no time during any of this can the voltage dip below 11, or the lamp will be cut off by the ballast to avoid bulb damage.

• LumpyBoy

Posted June 04, 2009 - 06:35 PM

Like Gray, I am a bit dubious as to how much time you'd get out of the light. Plus, for safety reasons I'd prefer to have my lights on all the time, day or night, but maybe that's conservative. If someone goes with a battery-only set up, I would love to see the parts list, including which HID headlight mask you go with. Turn Tech makes a 7Ah Li battery that I could fit into the airbox (I currently am running their 5Ah battery).

• desert-rat660

Posted July 31, 2009 - 03:46 PM

someone needs to make an add on high output stator, im in the middle of doing my supermoto project, i was going order a crank for an 07 and up wr450 but no luck its on backorder along with other parts i would need for the charging system. i think ill fab up an alternator sytem on the bike:p

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.