Bent Radiator

6 replies to this topic
  • WaySlowWhitey

Posted June 01, 2009 - 05:43 AM

So I bent my left side radiator this weekend. It bent back at the mounts and a little up and back at the lower corner. No leaks (tahnk god). I'm thinking I can just bend it back but wanted some ideas on straightening it (any tips / tools you guys have used) and thoughts on the need to replace it. Total bend from stock is about an inch (enough to deform the shroud and make for an uncomfortable ride back to the truck).

• grayracer513

Posted June 01, 2009 - 07:24 AM

Most of the time, you can remove the shroud and muscle them back to shape by hand in a situation like that. Use your head, though, and watch for any one spot being excessively strained.

If you want it repaired by someone else: Myler's

• WaySlowWhitey

Posted June 01, 2009 - 07:27 AM

Thanks Grayracer! In looking at it closer I think I can straighten the mounts and turn the bottom back into place and appreciate the forward on Myler's

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • roylo

Posted June 01, 2009 - 07:41 AM

A bit of heat might help to prevent anything snapping off when you bend it the opposite way and will make bending it easier. Heat only where you want the bend to occur.

• grayracer513

Posted June 01, 2009 - 08:15 AM

A bit of heat might help to prevent anything snapping off when you bend it the opposite way and will make bending it easier. Heat only where you want the bend to occur.

Be extremely cautious in heating aluminum. It will not glow before it melts, and with no gas shield, as you would have when TIG welding, it forms a "skin" over the outside, and "melts from the inside." By the time you realize you're too hot, it's way too late. If heating, apply bending force, then heat only until the material responds by yielding.

It shouldn't be needed for a radiator, and I don't recommend it for those with limited skills. Very risky.

• WaySlowWhitey

Posted June 03, 2009 - 01:43 PM

No heat was needed as I got it back to it's original position ...well close enough for the shourd bolts to easily line up and not warp the shoud itself. Thanks for the advice!

• jrny426

Posted June 03, 2009 - 05:19 PM

Why is always the left side? My right half is perfect my left not so much:smirk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.