8 inch HID headlight durability

7 replies to this topic
  • stev0

Posted June 01, 2009 - 04:08 AM

Thinking of fitting the 8 inch Baja HID headlight.. but not sure how durable it is in the event of a crash.

any feedback?

better yet, anybody running them?

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted June 01, 2009 - 04:37 AM

Thinking of fitting the 8 inch Baja HID headlight.. but not sure how durable it is in the event of a crash.

any feedback?

better yet, anybody running them?

Plenty of guys have them on bikes...no so much on the WR.

With that said, check out the Baja section here on TT for more info on the crash durability.

• stev0

Posted June 01, 2009 - 05:43 AM

Strange that the WR is not popular in this regard?

ill check out the section

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted June 01, 2009 - 05:49 AM

Strange that the WR is not popular in this regard?

ill check out the section

I agree but HID is more of a "racing" thing.

If you search the WR forum, you will see some posts about HID but nothing like what you would find in Baja or 450x forums.

Also, before you drop the coin on the BD 8in race light, you might want to consider this http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=788305

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stev0

Posted June 01, 2009 - 05:55 AM

quite impressive, im after the look rather then the real functionality. Unless find another way.

• William1

Posted June 01, 2009 - 06:54 AM

I run one on my WR.

If you crash, you are crashing with a signofocantly larger item on the fork tubes, both in dept and width. So the chance of damage goes up. The BD light is robust, but if it contacts an immoveable object......

I have my light on my bike only when I know I will be running at night. Between the damage risk (however remote that may be) and weight (got to be five plus extra pounds with that monster), I keep it off the rest of the time.

• stev0

Posted June 01, 2009 - 09:27 AM

I run one on my WR.

If you crash, you are crashing with a signofocantly larger item on the fork tubes, both in dept and width. So the chance of damage goes up. The BD light is robust, but if it contacts an immoveable object......

I have my light on my bike only when I know I will be running at night. Between the damage risk (however remote that may be) and weight (got to be five plus extra pounds with that monster), I keep it off the rest of the time.

Could you please post a pic of your bike?

• William1

Posted June 01, 2009 - 10:04 AM

There is one other thing you need to know if you put on on, you will have a hard time fitting it using the quick disconnect brackets as the on/off button the right was a bit low. Also, the OEM speedo was against the headlight sheel, so I made new brackets for both to raise them.

I looked in my pictures, this is the only one I have with the light at a ll visible in it, sorry it is not much help.

Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.