Dunlop GeoMax MX31 front on a YZ450

47 replies to this topic
  • Wiz636

Posted June 03, 2009 - 06:35 AM

I see you are from WA too. Was that second ride Tahuya State Forest?

No, it was on some private land on Whidbey Island.

• geshields

Posted August 23, 2009 - 06:39 PM

Anyone tried the MX31's in the desert yet. Getting ready to tun the Carlsbad 100 and want to know how the 31's do in the desert environment??

• grayracer513

Posted August 23, 2009 - 08:35 PM

I've had limited time on the MX31 front in the desert (too hot to stay long). So far, it's clearly the best front I've used.

• Justin89

Posted August 24, 2009 - 11:35 AM

Has anyone ever tried the Dunlop D756RR (Race replicas)? Is there a "difference" between them and a regular 756? I bought a set from chaparral motosports in Southern CA and loved how they hooked up. However, they wore down even faster that the "standard" 756 and ripped all the knobs off on the edges by the 3rd ride. I think I remember a few guyes on here that said they have tried them and agreed that they were like daggers in the dirt. Just wondering if the new MX series from Dunlop are just as good as the 756RRs?

Here's the link to the RR's...

http://www.chaparral...86F1CAC8E57B0BA

• grayracer513

Posted August 24, 2009 - 12:09 PM

There's a big difference between the RR's and the regular 756. But as far as the MX31 front, as of now, it's only begun to show very slight wear. Hopefully, I'll get some time on the rear soon.

• Jim813

Posted August 29, 2009 - 09:05 AM

I've had limited time on the MX31 front in the desert (too hot to stay long). So far, it's clearly the best front I've used.

Gray have you ever tried the Dunlop 745 front in similar conditions you tested the MX31? If so what did you think compared to the MX31?

• grayracer513

Posted August 29, 2009 - 09:25 AM

Gray have you ever tried the Dunlop 745 front in similar conditions you tested the MX31? If so what did you think compared to the MX31?

Yes I have, and it stunk. The 745 is out of its element in anything softer than true intermediate soils. Pretty good on the harder stuff, but doesn't do well in loose stuff at all.

• Jim813

Posted August 29, 2009 - 09:50 AM

Thanks.

• yz133rider

Posted August 30, 2009 - 03:20 PM

Would the 31 work well on the front in beach sand? I have a beach mx race coming up and want to get a good tire combo. Up to this point I had planned on getting the pirrelli mx softs because the rears look so aggressive. The fronts look pretty normal.

• grayracer513

Posted August 30, 2009 - 06:33 PM

It's the best sand tire I've tried so far.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RCannon

Posted August 31, 2009 - 05:15 PM

Has anyone ever tried the Dunlop D756RR (Race replicas)? Is there a "difference" between them and a regular 756? I bought a set from chaparral motosports in Southern CA and loved how they hooked up. However, they wore down even faster that the "standard" 756 and ripped all the knobs off on the edges by the 3rd ride. I think I remember a few guyes on here that said they have tried them and agreed that they were like daggers in the dirt. Just wondering if the new MX series from Dunlop are just as good as the 756RRs?

Here's the link to the RR's...

http://www.chaparral...86F1CAC8E57B0BA

I went through 4-5 of the front 756rr's when they were commonly available. For a year or so they were almost cheap, or 7.00 more than the standard 756.

Great tire. Really, a great tire. It worked on almost anything. Wear was not so good, but worth it.

I went to the Gemoax 51 and I believe this tire is just as good. Its about 1lb heavier than my 756 rr's were, but the lifespan is so much greater, its worth it.

• Aka.Goose

Posted September 01, 2009 - 08:20 AM

Well, I've got about 10-15 hours on my 31's...
They've worked out really well in soft desert stuff (hell it worked good in the hard pack sections too), and at Perris, Milestone, Elsinore...I'll be trying the front out with a paddle on the rear in Pismo next week...I'm sure I'll enjoy that since all the other dune riding with this bike so far has been with the stock front and a 10 paddle rear, this time will be with the 31 and a 8 paddle rear...
The rear 31 did wear down much more quickly than the stocker (I think the Elsinore track days killed it, was riding the hard pack rhino track a lot), but the front still looks almost new...I think I'll try out the 51 on the rear next time and see how it handles/wears compared to the 31...

• Wiz636

Posted September 01, 2009 - 03:04 PM

I have to completely disagree.

the MX 31 is a specialty tire IMO. In sand or mud it is excellent. but SUCKS everywhere else.

I have a nearly brand new one I'll give away. I doubt I'll ever run it again unless I got to a mud race.

I'll take it Trav! Bring it to the SJ meeting tomorrow. BTW...why are you trolling the YZ forums? :ride: Did you finally come to the realization that KTM's aren't all that? :)

When we were at the Canadian race I talked to a guy that was using the MX51 up front and he said he loved it...have you tried it yet?

• trav

Posted September 01, 2009 - 03:06 PM

not trolling. just hitting the "new posts" button and saw the thread on the 31. had to comment because it's the worse tire I've ever used... but then again reading some of the comments above our conditions are different.

I was going to donate it for the smoke bomb at next years desert 100

• trav

Posted September 01, 2009 - 03:25 PM

actually, now that grizzly is going to be out at the fringe area I might use that tire, it would work awesome out there in the dunes and sand. I think I'll hold onto it just a little longer :ride:

• RCannon

Posted September 01, 2009 - 04:16 PM

I agree that the 745 was awful on anything but the perfect conditions it was designed for. Actually, thats the fault of all the modern tires....being designed for one specific condition with a narrow range of "acceptable."

I believe tire designers get to design on tracks that are groomed into whatever they want. The rest of us get sand, dirt, hardpack, clay, mud and snow during our laps.

• grayracer513

Posted September 01, 2009 - 07:19 PM

I agree that the 745 was awful on anything but the perfect conditions it was designed for. Actually, thats the fault of all the modern tires....being designed for one specific condition with a narrow range of "acceptable."

That's the thing I see as being so great about the latest Dunlops. The shift in philosophy seems to have come at around the time the 745 came out. The 745 is pretty limited in anything softer than intermediate, but it has a much wider range than the 739 ever did.

The 952 isn't a standout anywhere, but it rates at least a 7 almost everywhere, and wears very well.

Now, with the Geo Max series, they've gone another step farther. :ride:

• BlackT5

Posted September 01, 2009 - 08:52 PM

Grey,

What are your local SoCal stomping grounds? I'm curious if we ride in the same places so I can get a good understanding of the soil.

I have 952s front and rear. I really like the front but I do not care for the rear. Not enough traction and I am pretty smooth on the throttle. The 952 front seems to work good at Jawbone and Dove Springs but only so so in the silty sections on Gorman. The rear is so so everywhere. The 756 rear was really good for me.

• grayracer513

Posted September 02, 2009 - 06:08 AM

Mostly the desert in the Imperial County; Superstition and Ocotillo Wells.

I used to run 952/952, but found a 755 front worked a little better in the deep gravel and sand in the dunes and washes. The 756 rear is actually slightly better than a 952 everywhere except sand. When I bought my '06 it had a good 756 on the back, and I got stuck on sand climbs a number of times the first time out with it that I had previously had no trouble with while I watched my son ride a 952 away from me. Next time out with a 952, the problem was gone. They wear far better, too.

But as I say, I think the 31's or maybe a 31/51, is going to work significantly better.

As for silt, I'm thinking there just isn't enough to it for anything to work.

• RCannon

Posted September 02, 2009 - 02:24 PM

That's the thing I see as being so great about the latest Dunlops. The shift in philosophy seems to have come at around the time the 745 came out. The 745 is pretty limited in anything softer than intermediate, but it has a much wider range than the 739 ever did.

The 952 isn't a standout anywhere, but it rates at least a 7 almost everywhere, and wears very well.

Now, with the Geo Max series, they've gone another step farther. :ride:

I think so too. My 51 feels like a decent tire. I've yet to find a condition where it was bad.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.