sputter !!

5 replies to this topic
  • ThumperWR450F

Posted March 13, 2003 - 02:49 PM

i am having a 1/4-1/2 throttle sputter. after that it's fine. any suggestions? 160 main 48 pilot. snorkle removed baffle removed. sea level.

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 13, 2003 - 03:47 PM

I get that after I wash it if the filter gets wet. May be water in the airbox? Otherwise drain your tank and put in fresh high test. Since it is between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle only I doubt it is a spark plug or ignition problem. I doubt your carburator is gummed up anywhere but if the above dont work take apart and clean your carb. :)

• HighPlainsWR

Posted March 13, 2003 - 06:47 PM

Yo Thumper. Had the same issue with my WR450. I first richened up the pilot by adjusting, of course, the pilot adjustment screw. But still I had too lean a condition with the 48 pilot, even at 5K ft. I had the dealer go to the next higher pilot jet, 50 I think, they adjusted the fuel screw, and bada bing - no sputter. At your altitude just richening up the 48 circuit should work.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Oasis_Flame

Posted March 13, 2003 - 08:11 PM

Clean the accel. pump. Mine did same until I cleaned it, problem gone!

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 14, 2003 - 02:38 AM

I will keep that in mind Oasis_Flame. I have yet to get the carb dirty but I have heard that even the smallest insignificant particle can give you funky carburation.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted March 14, 2003 - 10:22 AM

Raise (richen) or lower (lean) the needle 1 clip position and see what happens. 1/4-1/2 throttle response is mainly controlled by the needle. If what you mean by sputter is what I think you mean, I'll bet you need to lean it a clip.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.