WR426 Oil leak?

10 replies to this topic
  • BigT_87

Posted May 31, 2009 - 03:13 PM

I just recently bought an 01' WR426 and when I got it, it looked low on oil so I filled it up to the full mark on the dipstick. Now whenever I park it there is always a little puddle of oil comming from the overflow tube the next morning. Im wondering if this is normal or if I should do something like drain some oil back out of it?

• kingquad450

Posted May 31, 2009 - 04:50 PM

It is normal for oil to come out the breather hose. The biggest thing is to make sure you check the oil correctly.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 31, 2009 - 07:00 PM

I just recently bought an 01' WR426 and when I got it, it looked low on oil so I filled it up to the full mark on the dipstick. Now whenever I park it there is always a little puddle of oil comming from the overflow tube the next morning. Im wondering if this is normal or if I should do something like drain some oil back out of it?

You can't add oil until you run the bike for three minutes first, put the bike on a flat surface, upright, then check the dipstick. You probably put in too much oil.
You should change the oil, filter, and clean the screen asap.

• pablo83

Posted June 06, 2009 - 06:13 PM

You can't add oil until you run the bike for three minutes first, put the bike on a flat surface, upright, then check the dipstick. You probably put in too much oil.
You should change the oil, filter, and clean the screen asap.

Agreed. If you checked the level without running the bike first then your oil level is way too high. This will cause the crank to slap the oil in the sump and it will foam up and foamy oil does not lubricate like it should.

Run the bike for a few minutes, then stop it and check the oil level immediatly to get an accurate reading.

• BigT_87

Posted June 19, 2009 - 07:03 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice, but I still have a question. I did every thing you said; changing the oil, the filter, etc. and I filled it to the correct level and even checked it after running for several minutes, but there is still a little puddle of oil after I get done riding. I was told before that the oil comming out the breather was no big deal, but is it okay if it does it on a constant basis like this?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • phynx

Posted June 19, 2009 - 08:45 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice, but I still have a question. I did every thing you said; changing the oil, the filter, etc. and I filled it to the correct level and even checked it after running for several minutes, but there is still a little puddle of oil after I get done riding. I was told before that the oil comming out the breather was no big deal, but is it okay if it does it on a constant basis like this?

If you changed your oil, this is normal. Manual states " oil should atleast be 70 degrees, and not hotter. " Warm up bike for atleast 3 minute when cold and take proper measurement. Page 3-14 in Wr manual.
Yes, I really wish these guys would put an eye glass on the wr. My dad's dam ttr 03' 250 has that, and it is so dam easy. Good luck!:worthy:

• pablo83

Posted June 19, 2009 - 09:52 PM

is it okay if it does it on a constant basis like this?

yes, mine does this too.

• BigT_87

Posted June 20, 2009 - 01:50 PM

Cool, and thanks again for the help. Now I wont have to worry about that anymore.

• maxtherat

Posted June 20, 2009 - 04:46 PM

Just in case you did not know, when checking the oil do not screw the dipstick in. Oil dripping is very normal for these bikes. There is not a baffle on the valve cover so it is very easy for oil to make it's way into the tube. Enjoy your new ride.

• Whelie king

Posted September 25, 2009 - 02:43 PM

hey my wr426 keeps on leaking oil out of the breather of off my crank and i cant finde the pipe that comes out of my crank. But the problem is that when it leaks all the oil leaks onto my back breaks and i cant stop as easly. Dose anyone have a solution to this or have the same problem

• Whelie king

Posted September 25, 2009 - 02:45 PM

but every time i stop from riding i always have a semi small puddle of oil under my bike.I dont think it is to serious but i change the oil and the oil filter at the same time if that helps at all.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.