TTR 125 suspension upgrades

11 replies to this topic
  • rusty98

Posted 31 May 2009 - 12:03 PM

Im 5'8 155 pounds and I was wondering if the BBR springs would be a good upgrade because the stock suspension is WAY to soft. I also looked at the works performance rear shock but its a bit out of my budget. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

• irishjedi

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:46 PM

Hey...glad to see you out here wanting to improve your bike. My buddy is doing a TTR to YZ conversion as we speak and I myself did a CRF230 to CR conversion.

I personally would stay away from just doing springs. They won't get you much other than maybe bottoming resistance. I would seriously look on ebay and see if you could somehow swing a set of YZ80 or 85 forks. Vastly superior. For the back end, I would try it with just the forks to see if that gets you what you wanted. I've seen 2 bikes now where they drilled a hole ~1" below the stock hole where the top of the shock mounts to the frame to even out both ends. However, I think you could slide the fork tubes up to get close if you weren't interested in messing around with the frame.

Performance wise, open that airbox, get a goot filter, remove snorkle (if there is one) and re-jet. I bet you notice a lot. White Brothers make a decently priced full exhaust that I put on mine and made a big difference.

Good luck and get that thing dirty!

• crftalkonly

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:43 PM

You are way too big for the bike. You will most likely increase the chance of hurting yourself on that bike. As a matter of fact, I broke my shoulder trying to race other bikes. It has no suspension although I upgraded to BBR springs. You will break the rear wheel hub if you jump. I did.

Get a CRF150R (Big wheel) or a 250F and send the suspension out to Factory Connection to shorten the suspension for your height. That's what I did.

I'm 5'5 riding a crf150r. My suspesnion was setup by Factory Connection. they shorten both the front and rear by 1 inch.

• BlueDevilGlass

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:38 AM

i'd go for the YZ forks and you could try the BBR rear spring, but the works shock made for the TTR and valved for your weight is the better option. I just jumped my TTR 45 ft across a table top with no issues and I am bigger than you by a few inches and 15 pounds

• mike_dean

Posted 29 June 2009 - 03:37 PM

i'd go for the YZ forks and you could try the BBR rear spring, but the works shock made for the TTR and valved for your weight is the better option. I just jumped my TTR 45 ft across a table top with no issues and I am bigger than you by a few inches and 15 pounds

Good luck with the rear hub, my son using BBR frt and rear springs went thru 2 and he was only 100#, not to mention the rims, frame, handlebars, engine cases, triple clamps, the list goes on and on.

• BlueDevilGlass

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:30 PM

Good luck with the rear hub, my son using BBR frt and rear springs went thru 2 and he was only 100#, not to mention the rims, frame, handlebars, engine cases, triple clamps, the list goes on and on.

Wow big list, maybe it should have been built up right is my opinion. Maybe a frame cradle to protect the frame from stretch and guard the cases. Handle bars??? Those are going bad from crashes not new suspension as this thread is about. Clamps, ( also a crash issue) well the YZ mod uses the much stronger YZ clamps and hasn't been an issue thus far. Hub and rim, well I'd guess more maintenance more often. Like tightening the spokes often (every ride if needed) so they hold solid and don't strip/ream out hubs and bend/break rims.

I have ridden my TTR hard ( Tracks, Trails, MX, Hill Climbs etc)for 2 years and have had nothing but great reports but i do alot of routine maintenance.

• rusty98

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:39 PM

Well I have the small wheel TTR 125 so i dont thing the YZ fork swap would work to well with the bike without doing some extensive mods.

I did the air box mod, well sort of where can i get the new jets?

The Works shock is a bit pricy for me, thinking of just buying the bbr springs and cradle frame and save me some money, and its not like im going to go to my local MX track and beat the hell out of the bike, all i do is some easy trail riding occasionally hitting a pit bike track and some small jumps.

Im planning on buying a used 125 stroke (any color) or a kdx 200 and keep the TTR 125 as a spare bike that any of my friends can ride.

• mike_dean

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:54 AM

Wow big list, maybe it should have been built up right is my opinion. Maybe a frame cradle to protect the frame from stretch and guard the cases. Handle bars??? Those are going bad from crashes not new suspension as this thread is about. Clamps, ( also a crash issue) well the YZ mod uses the much stronger YZ clamps and hasn't been an issue thus far. Hub and rim, well I'd guess more maintenance more often. Like tightening the spokes often (every ride if needed) so they hold solid and don't strip/ream out hubs and bend/break rims.

I have ridden my TTR hard ( Tracks, Trails, MX, Hill Climbs etc)for 2 years and have had nothing but great reports but i do alot of routine maintenance.

Maybe the 2000 was the worst, mine now has a cradle, yz forks, chain guide, welded cases, frame, 2 rear hubs, Excel rims, and is not used seriously off road because there is no one in our house light enough to not abuse this bike, we use it on the cart tracks, you should not have to modify a dirt bike that much so a 100# kid can ride it. A dirt bike should come with a useable chain guide, 1 rock derails the chain and you break the engine cases, and a full frame that a 80-100# kid can't break in half.
look at the money a 5'8" 158# rider will have to spend to be reasonably dependable.

• BlueDevilGlass

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:41 PM

Maybe the 2000 was the worst, mine now has a cradle, yz forks, chain guide, welded cases, frame, 2 rear hubs, Excel rims, and is not used seriously off road because there is no one in our house light enough to not abuse this bike, we use it on the cart tracks, you should not have to modify a dirt bike that much so a 100# kid can ride it. A dirt bike should come with a useable chain guide, 1 rock derails the chain and you break the engine cases, and a full frame that a 80-100# kid can't break in half.
look at the money a 5'8" 158# rider will have to spend to be reasonably dependable.

It's a kids trail bike. If you want it to be anything but that, there will have to be some mods. This bike wasn't intended as an adults bike or a race bike. Your statement that there is nobody light enough not to abuse the bike shows it's not the bikes fault. More research on the bike being purchased would be helpful it seems. Also if 1 rock derails the chain, then maybe the chain should have been tighter or the sprockets replaced at the right time. I bought my TTR in 07 as my very first motorcycle and since have raced it, jumped it, trails, hill climbs, hare scrambles, rough scrambles, MX, etc and I looked into the bikes needs before taking on such activities, and did the appropriate mods and strengthening. This forum being some of the most help. It bothers me to see folks blame the bikes for everything that goes wrong when usually it's poor maintenance and upkeep. A well cared for and maintained bike can last for years.

• john4ct

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:42 AM

It's a kids trail bike. If you want it to be anything but that, there will have to be some mods. This bike wasn't intended as an adults bike or a race bike. Your statement that there is nobody light enough not to abuse the bike shows it's not the bikes fault. More research on the bike being purchased would be helpful it seems. Also if 1 rock derails the chain, then maybe the chain should have been tighter or the sprockets replaced at the right time. I bought my TTR in 07 as my very first motorcycle and since have raced it, jumped it, trails, hill climbs, hare scrambles, rough scrambles, MX, etc and I looked into the bikes needs before taking on such activities, and did the appropriate mods and strengthening. This forum being some of the most help. It bothers me to see folks blame the bikes for everything that goes wrong when usually it's poor maintenance and upkeep. A well cared for and maintained bike can last for years.

not to be saying that maint wont solve alot of these problems.......its always a good idea but it wont solve bad design issues......stress member frame issues......poor design for any off road bike.....chain guard is a joke......it doesnt have one . and yea adjusting a chain regularly should be done but on a 50 mile ride you dont wont the chain coming off period....if you are a 9 year old girl riding in the back yard......[which is what the bike was really designed for] then just maint should be fine.if anything else, you at least need to get a cradle and chain guard.....i like this bike and do regular and proper maint on it but it is not well designed and needs alot of work to make it a good trail bike . even for a smaller boy that rides well, its pretty poor.. like you said.....,,,,its good to assess your needs and set it up properly. ..... but the bike is cheaply made......esp when you look at the honda 150f coming with a real chain guard and full frame. i have both of these bikes and both are modified for specific use and for the rider who uses them.........both are great trail bikes but the ttr was more cheaply built and needed alot more bucks spent on it.......now its the most fun play bike but, it cost alot to address all of the issues. it past time for yamaha to update the bike so people who buy them , dont have the need to start modding them right out of the box. at least full frame it and put a real chain guard on it. ..........also, alot of people who buy this bike , buy them for small kids and try to use them longer than they should without modding the bike over time as the child grows , gets better, and uses it more outside its intended use...... at some pint the bike needs to be built up or replaced.....best done before the frame is broken and the chain breaks the cases.

• mooserider586

Posted 06 July 2009 - 08:39 PM

well, if a new bike is out of the question, the bbr are 30% stiffer, and get a heavier fork oil, also get a new rear spring

• dpowell0320

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:50 AM

im doing a 2000 yz 80 chock conversion right now and im looking at a works shock but i dont know if it is worth it yet

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.