this one's for u greyracer

7 replies to this topic
  • randytbo98

Posted May 30, 2009 - 06:32 PM

carb question. three jets on the bottom of the carb. one side pilot(thats feeds one of the little holes in the barrel of the carb right?) middle is the main. other side is the starter jet. now when i blow air into the starter jet it only comes out the hole just above the jet shouldnt it be going into the barrel someplace? im thinking the other small hole in the barrel. im goin crazy tryin to figure out why my bike wont run. the pilot is clear im sure i blow air in and it comes out the little hole in the barrel. i need your knowledge.

• grayracer513

Posted May 30, 2009 - 10:24 PM

now when i blow air into the starter jet it only comes out the hole just above the jet shouldnt it be going into the barrel someplace?

Only if the choke knob is pulled out.

• randytbo98

Posted May 31, 2009 - 06:32 AM

Well that explains why i thaught it was plugged. but now i dont know why it wont run right. im pretty sure my pilot circut is clear i blow air in and it will come out the hole in the barrel and where my screw goes. is there anything else i should check. whith the choke out i hold it at part throttle and it will rev but it backfires alot but if i open it up it revs up. once the choke is off it idles for a couple seconds and dies.

• grayracer513

Posted May 31, 2009 - 06:38 AM

You might want to check the slide plate, on the engine side of the slide. It can go in one of two ways; round edge down (wrong) or the square side with the hole near the edge down (right). Also check the plate to see if one corner may be cracked off/missing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • randytbo98

Posted May 31, 2009 - 06:54 AM

that looks all good.

• Wiz636

Posted May 31, 2009 - 07:13 AM

How about some history of the problem. Is this something that just started to happen, has the bike been sitting all winter? Did you just buy it? Did you just do some work on the engine? Did you remove the TPS from the carb when you had it off the bike (a big no no)?

It sounds like a super lean condition and cam timing that is off.

Have you checked the cam timing? Put in a fresh spark plug. What size jets are installed?

• randytbo98

Posted May 31, 2009 - 07:21 AM

its all stock. i baught it in rough shape and rebuilt it over the winter. i did have the tps off but im sure i put it back on in the right spot. but maybe not. ill try a fresh plug. when i open it up it revs out fine. just shitty from idle to half . ill check my timing again but if i was off a tooth wouldnt it not run atall?

• randytbo98

Posted May 31, 2009 - 09:07 AM

i also went from a 400 to a 426 would that make any diff?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.