Riding Alone........

44 replies to this topic
  • squid john

Posted September 10, 2009 - 07:18 AM

:busted: :thumbsup: [COLOR="DarkOrange"][/COLOR]never ride like a mainieack while alone. My dad fell of a cliff and broke his knee cap allone.:banana: :banana:

• 2in2out

Posted September 10, 2009 - 08:00 AM

Sadly, that probably also gives the theives a good way to know they have plenty of time to break into your truck.

A smart theif would pass on my truck. Anything worth taking is in my pack. Plus I try to park in areas where there is a decent amount of traffic. Mostly granolas out hiking and mountain biking.

My truck may get broken into in my driveway, but for the most part, only decent people go where I go.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pablo83

Posted September 10, 2009 - 11:53 AM

Sadly, that probably also gives the theives a good way to know they have plenty of time to break into your truck.

Theives? Are you riding those inner-city trails?

I'm lucky enought to be unemployed. This means my riding schedule doesn't seem to fit any elses, so I ride alone all the time. I also have a lot of time to work on my bike so it requires lots of "testing". On longer trips I leave an itenerary and a Freak Out Time (FOT) with my wife. But this morning I needed to test my new Rekluse clutch so I set out on a 30 mile semi-technical loop. I had no tools, no map, no water, no food, no itenerary, no return time, no rain gear, and no cell coverage. I only encountered one quad and one hunter on the trip, and I got back just as it was starting to rain. Ten years ago I would have given myself a lecture for being so unprepared, and maybe I still deserve one.

I only seem to wreck when I'm pushing myself hard, so I don't push myself when I'm alone. I've had my share of breakdowns and done a lot of hiking and hitch-hicking because of it, but for me that's part of the adventure, and it doesn't happen often enough for it to be annoying. One of these days I'll get one of those Spot things, but I'm waiting for them to combine one with a functional GPS.

• DoctorWack

Posted September 12, 2009 - 08:45 PM

I used to ride alone a lot. A lot of the time the choice is either to ride alone or to not ride, I choose to ride. I kind of prefer it. When riding with friends, they invariably want to call it quits before I do. I don't get to do it that often, so if I set a day aside to go riding I want to ride all day, particularly if it's someplace where I have to pay to ride. Riding with friends almost always turns into a race, but in reality, I ride just as hard when I'm by myself. I have had a few close calls when riding alone, the worst was when I over jumped a tabletop I had built. I usually hit it in the middle of 2nd, for some reason that time I hit it in the top of 3rd gear. I way over cleared it and ended up hitting a tree in midair and knocking myself out. Fortunately, I was only out for a little while (5-15min?, sun position hadn't really changed) and other than some minor cuts and bruises was unhurt. It probably would have been at least 3 hours before someone thought to wonder where I was, much less notice that both me and my bike were missing.

I recently broke my humerus while riding with a friend, we were 11 miles into a 21 mile trail. In that instance, I was very happy to have someone with me. It was rough getting out with help, if I had to I could have gotten out on my own but it would have been extremely difficult. That experience has made me rethink riding alone. I'll still go riding by myself simply because most of the time it's that or not at all, but in the future I'm going to be more prepared to deal with things going pear shaped by ensuring that someone knows where I am and carrying some basic supplies like water, cell phone, and some first aid stuff.

• pablo83

Posted September 13, 2009 - 05:24 AM

I have had a few close calls when riding alone, the worst was when I over jumped a tabletop I had built. I way over cleared it and ended up hitting a tree in midair and knocking myself out.

That's awesome Glad you're okay, but that's a good story.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.