Flywheel Weight Question

8 replies to this topic
  • Greg_T_M

Posted May 30, 2009 - 10:48 AM

I purchased the GYT-2S297-50-50 Off-Road Flywheel for my 08 and it doesn't look at all like the one pictured on the Yamaha website( http://www.yamaha-mo...0/1/detail.aspx ). Was a little concerned when I ordered it because the description said that it was for an 06, but everything I read seemed to indicate that the part was the same for 06-09.

The part that I received looks like the one pictured in the manual and is stamped with "F2S210" and also "8YT". I also looked up the stock part number on Ron Ayers and it is listed as "2S2-85550-10-00" Any idea if this it the GYT-2S297-50-50 or is it possibly a stock replacement. Just want to make sure that I have the correct part before I tear the bike apart. Here is a link to what I ordered:

http://www.rickroush...roducts_id/6597

Any help is appreciated.

Greg

• grayracer513

Posted May 30, 2009 - 11:02 AM

The GYT-2S297-50-50 is the correct weighted flywheel for your engine. It doesn't look like the picture because the picture is of an older flywheel for the '03-'05 models.

2S2-85550-10-00 is a stock flywheel, and not what you want.

• Greg_T_M

Posted May 30, 2009 - 11:36 AM

Thanks for the quick response.

I was fairly sure that I ordered the correct part number, just not sure if what I received was the GYT-2S297-50-50. The number stamped on the part doesn't match the offroad part mumber or the stock part number which is confusing. Is there any way to verify that it is the GYT-2S297-50-50 visually, by weighing it, cross referencing the number stamped on it....

• grayracer513

Posted May 30, 2009 - 12:52 PM

What was the number on the container the box was in? Numbers stamped on parts themselves are rarely useful except in identifying unfinished components at the factory.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Greg_T_M

Posted May 30, 2009 - 01:01 PM

Good point. Checked the box and the correct part number is listed and described as the 6.15 flywheel kit on the factory label. Thanks for your patience.

• Jim813

Posted May 30, 2009 - 03:27 PM

I doubt this played a role but right now the GYT-R off-road flywheel is on backorder according to the dealer I ordered from a week ago...

• Greg_T_M

Posted May 30, 2009 - 06:10 PM

It took about a month to get mine. Did the swap this afternoon there is clearly a difference between the gytr and stock. Probably wont get a chance to ride it for a couple weeks, but sounds like it should make an improvement.

• feirmeoir

Posted May 30, 2009 - 08:32 PM

I doubt this played a role but right now the GYT-R off-road flywheel is on backorder according to the dealer I ordered from a week ago...

I got a call today to "remind" :crazy: me my backordered flywheel was in.

I asked, when did it you get it?
"Friday"
Yesterday?
"No last week" :eek:

• SparksXR426

Posted May 30, 2009 - 09:17 PM

It took about a month to get mine. Did the swap this afternoon there is clearly a difference between the gytr and stock. Probably wont get a chance to ride it for a couple weeks, but sounds like it should make an improvement.

Odd, a few guys have said their waiting so I expected too as well but I got mine in a week and that was 2 weeks ago. Excellant results on my 08, could have been that way stock. Better low end characteristics and less stall prone.:crazy:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.