07+ HID Head Light Conversion

14 replies to this topic
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted May 29, 2009 - 10:30 PM

After many conversations with OUTERLIMITS and reading this thread, I decided that I was going to convert my stock head light to HID so I could do some night riding in the local desert as well as some night dual sport rides.

First off, if you guys plan on converting your stock head lights you will need at a minimum to float the ground on the stator as well as buy an aftermarket regulator/rectifier.

Since I have already done that, the conversion was rather easy. Price wise, I am only into it 30 bucks (thanks to OUTERLIMITS) as the slim 35w ballast was given to me. That meant I only need to pick the correct bulb to fit the stock housing.

After doing some research, it was concluded that the stock 07+ WR uses an H6M type bulb. I went with the 5000K oem white bulb. I was able to buy a pair off eBay for 25 bucks shipped.

Here is a picture of the stock head light in the garage before the conversion (low beam)

Posted Image

Stock head light on high beam before the conversion

Posted Image

Here is how I mounted the slim ballast. I used industrial type velcro from Home Depot

Posted Image

After I wired everything up, I flip'd the light on and snapped a quick picture before I let it warm up (notice the difference?)

Posted Image

After a few laps around the block (gotta love being plated :crazy: ) I had the light aimed pretty well.

Here is the light off

Posted Image

About 15 seconds

Posted Image

And fully warmed up

Posted Image

Let the night riding season begin :eek:

• blunko

Posted May 29, 2009 - 10:35 PM

IMPRESSIVE! :crazy:

• SJMC_DON

Posted May 30, 2009 - 06:25 AM

Is the light level suitable for night racing, open GP stuff?

Thanks coop, looks good:thumbsup:

• P0ACHER

Posted May 30, 2009 - 08:38 AM

So you're probably not road legal anymore I'm guessing?.....

No hi/lo on HID?

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted May 30, 2009 - 09:23 AM

So you're probably not road legal anymore I'm guessing?

I dont think the stock head light is DOT approved to begin with and I highly doubt Ill being much road riding at night

No hi/lo on HID?

Correct...besides, the stock Hi/Low (after I wired it up) SUCKED

• snaggletooth

Posted May 31, 2009 - 04:55 AM

Coop,
You did such a nice job how about a sep by step tutorial. I haven't seen a walk through covered on a "profesional looking" conversion in a long time. Your set up looks so bright, clean, and cost effective, I (and others) would love to copy it!
Gas for you, S/T.

• dl19

Posted November 18, 2009 - 10:38 PM

I know this post is old, but did you give up your high low beem capability? I'm running a BD Baja Kit on my 05, and would love to try this instead of getting a Trail Tech X2.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • biggziff

Posted November 19, 2009 - 05:20 AM

Nice. HID lighting also uses much less energy so you can put on those heated grips you've been lusting after!

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted November 19, 2009 - 07:06 AM

I know this post is old, but did you give up your high low beem capability? I'm running a BD Baja Kit on my 05, and would love to try this instead of getting a Trail Tech X2.

On my bike I gave up the high beam but in all honesty with HID you dont need hi/low

however, with the pre 07 bikes you can get a bulb that is hi/low :excuseme:

• dl19

Posted November 19, 2009 - 08:25 AM

I found a Kit with High Low for $235.00 that has good reviews. I run mine on the street and dirt, so I need the option available even if I don't switch them back and forth. Now to just figure out the stator thing. and what I am going to do in that department.
http://www.kbcarstuf...-h-fslash-l.htm

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted June 24, 2010 - 09:51 AM

I found a Kit with High Low for $235.00 that has good reviews. I run mine on the street and dirt, so I need the option available even if I don't switch them back and forth. Now to just figure out the stator thing. and what I am going to do in that department.
http://www.kbcarstuf...-h-fslash-l.htm

FYI....
If your talking about the "motorcycle kit" from Xenon Depot (per that web link)... it's NOT a good deal and the bulb is Bi-Xenon (mechanical moving - for low and high beam) and will fail miserably off-road.

If you don't have enough power to run two HIDs at once... then, it's still best to run a "Dual Burner" HID bulb, with two ballasts installed. Switching each beam (low or high) on/off as needed.

Here's a picture of the Xenon Depot bulb;

Attached Thumbnails

• H4 Bi Xenon - Xenon Depot.jpg

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted June 24, 2010 - 11:39 AM

If you don't have enough power to run two HIDs at once... then, it's still best to run a "Dual Burner" HID bulb, with two ballasts installed. Switching each beam (low or high) on/off as needed

Wow...OLD thread...JK :lol:

However, with that said....JAT is right...

I went from converting the stock headlight with an eBay conversion kit to a Baja Designs dual feugo setup to an Airtime-HID setup and lets say JAT is right on with the "dual burner" setup....You get the light of the dual fuegos (or so) and half the weight of em' :banana: (or more)

One of the biggest dis-appointments with converting the stock 07+ headlight was I never could mine to aim down enough...it was always to high :)

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted June 24, 2010 - 12:19 PM

Wow...OLD thread...JK :banana:

Johnny was apparently thinking of upgrading to a blue sled and was on a quest for data :)

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted June 25, 2010 - 02:20 PM

Wow...OLD thread...JK :lol:

However, with that said....JAT is right...

I went from converting the stock headlight with an eBay conversion kit to a Baja Designs dual feugo setup to an Airtime-HID setup and lets say JAT is right on with the "dual burner" setup....You get the light of the dual fuegos (or so) and half the weight of em' :lol: (or more)

One of the biggest dis-appointments with converting the stock 07+ headlight was I never could mine to aim down enough...it was always to high :banana:

:)

Johnny was apparently thinking of upgrading to a blue sled and was on a quest for data :lol:

Longer story than that... but, if you must know...

I rode Yamaha from Day 1, all through my years (ending my Yamaha riding on a YZ250)... until I went 500cc. And only bike worthy was the CR, so I switched to a Honda in '89 and never looked back.:lol:

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted June 25, 2010 - 03:14 PM

Longer story than that... but, if you must know...

I rode Yamaha from Day 1, all through my years (ending my Yamaha riding on a YZ250... until I went 500cc. And only bike worthy was the CR, so I switched to a Honda in '89 and never looked back.:)

You must be looking forward now. And you know, the grass in bluer on this side of the fense just like they said it would be (even though it should be yellow just like your '84). It's ok, just like in T.J., "it's free to look senior". :banana:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.