Ideal Rear Wheel Position

6 replies to this topic
  • roylo

Posted May 29, 2009 - 09:14 PM

What would be the best position, in terms of handling for the rear wheel in the back and forth adjustment? Bike is 08 YZ450.

• grayracer513

Posted May 29, 2009 - 09:17 PM

Set the wheel as far to the rear as is practical with the right chain tension. This puts more weight on the front, and helps steering.

• Kasjok

Posted May 29, 2009 - 11:42 PM

I thought about this for a minute. If you position the rear wheel more back it gives the swingarm greater leverage which makes the rear end easier to compress and therefor lower. Now if I think about extremes it seems to go the same way: if the swingarm was 5ft taller the bike would compress so easily and if it was even shorter then now it would be stiffer. BUt I might be thikning everything backwards :crazy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • roylo

Posted May 30, 2009 - 12:46 AM

I thought about this for a minute. If you position the rear wheel more back it gives the swingarm greater leverage which makes the rear end easier to compress and therefor lower. Now if I think about extremes it seems to go the same way: if the swingarm was 5ft taller the bike would compress so easily and if it was even shorter then now it would be stiffer. BUt I might be thikning everything backwards :crazy:

It WOULD make the rear end easier to compress because of the greater leverage and therefore lower. But Im guessing you would reset your ride height to the same.

• grayracer513

Posted May 30, 2009 - 09:30 AM

Kasjok,

You have it right, but remember that even going from the far front to the far rear of the slot, you will be making a pretty small change in the leverage ratios. For fun, you could slide the axle from one end to the other and see what difference it makes in your free sag. I'll bet it's not very much.

• Jim813

Posted May 30, 2009 - 03:34 PM

Pro-circuits famous suspension tuner Bones Bacon recommends as far rearward as practically possible, just as Grayracer stated above.

• NMNORGE

Posted May 30, 2009 - 05:44 PM

Yes, I prefer it rearward and drop the forks 1/4 inch in the tripples...just before the taper.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.