Case saver clearence on chain.

4 replies to this topic
  • FreshDonutsCAN

Posted May 29, 2009 - 03:03 PM

So i went to the dealer they didnt have any case savers for the yz 450 however they had some really cheap that fit on yzf250's. So i bought the piece took it home and it fits the bolt mounts however the case saver didnt clear the chain enough. So i ground it down so that it clears and my question is how much clearence does the case saver have to have on the chain to be safe? Does it need to be the same as the stock flimsy one??

• usmcpaul

Posted May 30, 2009 - 04:21 AM

I have made a few of these for myself and friends. I have found that the clearance need to be slightly larger than the ones that came on the bike originally.

I would start with about 3/16th's of an inch, install and ride it to check for rubbing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FreshDonutsCAN

Posted May 30, 2009 - 07:18 AM

i got it down so it reasonably cleared the chain and i took it for a ride didnt seem to have any problems with it.

How could a chain really lift off the drive sprocket when the bike is under power?

• grayracer513

Posted May 30, 2009 - 09:54 AM

How could a chain really lift off the drive sprocket when the bike is under power?

Under power it won't, but under decel at speed, it can and does. The chain has kinetic inertia, and under decel, it's drawn tight on the bottom run, and is slack on top. As it rolls off the rear sprocket, it tends to arc upward, creating a "wave" in the chain. If that wave repeats and heads upward just ahead of the front sprocket, it will loose contact with the top of the sprocket altogether unless it is guided back down by the "case saver".

Look at one with some time on it, and you'll usually see marks at 11:00 from the sprocket where the chain has hit.

• FreshDonutsCAN

Posted May 30, 2009 - 09:46 PM

Thanks that makes alot of sense! I checked my stock saver and couldnt find anymarkings on it then again i dont have crazy hours on it.

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.