Clutch Noise

5 replies to this topic
  • wind_man

Posted May 29, 2009 - 11:09 AM

All,

My 2002 YZ 426 started making an interesting noise this past weekend.

The noise happens only when the clutch lever is pulled all the way in, thus touching the handle bar. The noise does not happen when I pull the clutch lever in with only 2 fingers with my other fingers blocking the lever from touching the grip, but it is obviously fully disengaged at that point.

The noise is proportional to engine speed and happens if the bike is moving or not. The noise sounds like a component is rubbing some part of the case or cover. The lever feel does not change in any way when the noise starts or stops.

I was thinking that the thrust bearing behind the pressure plate may be bad, but it doesn't make sense for the bearing to make noise with some load on it (i.e. with the clutch in with load on that bearing), so I think it is more proportional to the position of the pressure plate.

I searched and saw some threads of people having bolts back out of the clutch boss, but that doesn't make sense for this noise.

I am going to pull it apart tonight but was just looking for some suggestions since I have no ideas.

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

• grayracer513

Posted May 29, 2009 - 11:28 AM

I searched and saw some threads of people having bolts back out of the clutch boss, but that doesn't make sense for this noise.

Oh, yes it does. When the main shaft nut loosens, the entire clutch moves toward the cover. If you find the pressure plate has rubbed the clutch cover, that would be the first thing to look at.

• wind_man

Posted May 29, 2009 - 11:35 AM

Oh no..... that is scary. I hope the splines are ok...

That makes a ton of sense, but still scary.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wind_man

Posted May 30, 2009 - 04:47 AM

Well, looks like the foot brake lever poked a hole in the side cover and the deformed case was rubbing on the pressure plate. :crazy: The giant puddle of oil was a good hint :eek: (very small leak so I didn't notice after washing the bike)! Too bad I wasn't home earlier in the week to get a replacement ordered and on the bike by now....

Any opinions on what works better on the MG for a fix for this weekend? I have Moose Quick Steel and JB Weld.

Thanks!

• grayracer513

Posted May 30, 2009 - 09:39 AM

Any opinions on what works better on the MG for a fix for this weekend? I have Moose Quick Steel and JB Weld.

Thanks!

Neither. Go to a good auto parts house and find some Loc-Tite 245 two-part epoxy. It's JB Weld on steroids.

JB is OK, but take 8 hours or more to be completely usable. The quick cure version might be better, but I don't have any experience with it. In either case, rough into the metal surface with very coarse paper or an abrasive disc, or a file to give it some "tooth", then clean it thoroughly with carb cleaner, or better, brake cleaner before applying the goop.

• wind_man

Posted May 31, 2009 - 04:06 PM

Thanks! I ended up letting the Moose Quicksteel harden overnight and it worked great today for a full day of riding. I ordered a new cover and gasket on Saturday so they should be here before next weekend.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.