XR650L jetting

101 replies to this topic
  • Rman of 237

Posted April 27, 2008 - 05:45 PM

I think the advantage with the DJET kit is the differently shaped needle.

Hey Martin, does DJ use Keihin jets or they modified to accept the DJ needle? The reason I'm asking is I still have a slight deceleration pop so I went and got a 170 Keihin main last week but when I compare it to the 160 that came with the kit(the 165 is installed) the 160 has a more pronounced I.D. taper on the threaded end than the 170 Keihin. Do you think I'm wasting my time with the 170 Keihin or should I raise the needle another notch?:thumbsup:
I also have a 55 pilot (50 installed) to play with.

R.........

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 28, 2008 - 07:57 AM

I think the advantage with the DJET kit is the differently shaped needle.

Hmm, I would have said that's the main dis-advantage.

Dave

• Kenzo

Posted April 28, 2008 - 09:16 AM

Hey Martin, does DJ use Keihin jets or they modified to accept the DJ needle? The reason I'm asking is I still have a slight deceleration pop so I went and got a 170 Keihin main last week but when I compare it to the 160 that came with the kit(the 165 is installed) the 160 has a more pronounced I.D. taper on the threaded end than the 170 Keihin. Do you think I'm wasting my time with the 170 Keihin or should I raise the needle another notch?:eek:
I also have a 55 pilot (50 installed) to play with.

R.........

DJ uses it's "own" jets...and it's my belief that the DJ needle taper is so not to require an additional/change in the pilot jet...

...the DJ 165 is reported to be approximately equal to the Keihin 160.

IMO the Keihin 170 will be a VERY rich jetting and ur stock 50 pilot is on the lean side...

i went with the Keihin 160 main, 55 pilot(it's a little on the rich side), stock needle shimmed, 1 1/2 out on the fuel screw and drilled slide...it runs very strong at sealevel with intake and exhaust opened up...

:p

• martinfan30

Posted April 28, 2008 - 12:44 PM

Hmm, I would have said that's the main dis-advantage.

Dave

Dave, why do you say that? My opinion is that DJET put money(R/D) into the taper of that needle and came up with the final product for a reason.

Hey Martin, does DJ use Keihin jets or they modified to accept the DJ needle? The reason I'm asking is I still have a slight deceleration pop so I went and got a 170 Keihin main last week but when I compare it to the 160 that came with the kit(the 165 is installed) the 160 has a more pronounced I.D. taper on the threaded end than the 170 Keihin. Do you think I'm wasting my time with the 170 Keihin or should I raise the needle another notch?:eek:

Like Kenzo said, they are different.

If you have a decel pop(throttle closed), that is affected by your pilot circuit. I would try and richen the pilot circuit slightly.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 28, 2008 - 01:18 PM

Dave, why do you say that? My opinion is that DJET put money(R/D) into the taper of that needle and came up with the final product for a reason.

For a reason, but the right reasons? Maybe so they didn't have to develop a pilot jet for the kit?

I figure any really abrupt jetting changes are bad, and the needle has a wicked abrubt change in taper, which means an abrupt change in jetting.

I think I was dissatisfied with the needle/kit because I did a lot of riding where I needed fine control, probably right at that transition point. It lacked predictability in output, and the power output seemed like it'd be up&down for a given throttle setting.

When I saw for myself that drilling the slide gave much better results than the DJ spring, I thought, well, that's what I bought the kit for in the 1st place.

Dave

• sbabs

Posted April 29, 2008 - 08:57 AM

I made my own smog kit, very easy to do if you have a welder,or access to a welder.just cut the two metal tubes off and weld the holes on the plates,and tada!! smog block off plates!! I also seen them on ebay!!

Can I ask how you fabbed the rubber stopper doohickies, or what you used to block off the carb. Basically, I bought the metal plates off ebay, but I need the rubber hardware and am looking for ways to fab these.
Thanks in advance.

• RipperFox

Posted April 29, 2008 - 09:29 AM

Can I ask how you fabbed the rubber stopper doohickies, or what you used to block off the carb. Basically, I bought the metal plates off ebay, but I need the rubber hardware and am looking for ways to fab these.
Thanks in advance.

You can just cut off the original hose that was onthe port, fill it with some RTV, let it set up, and put the hose(stub) back on the port. Instant "doohickies"....actually it is "doohicki" Plural form of doohichie":p :eek:

• Kenzo

Posted April 29, 2008 - 04:21 PM

You can just cut off the original hose that was onthe port, fill it with some RTV, let it set up, and put the hose(stub) back on the port. Instant "doohickies"....actually it is "doohicki" Plural form of doohichie":p :ride:

...since the other bike i currently have in the garage is a KLR :p i'm going to have to correct you...:eek:

it's doohickey... or doo for short or slang... and the plural form is doohickies...

geeze i knew i wus going to have problems with you Honda boyz... :p

that being said...i to prefer the shimmed stock needle over the DJ needle...

...and as for blocking off unused carb male fittings...screw thread protectors/covers (hardware store) of the proper size work well and most if not all of the fittings are under a vacuum so they're not going to pop off but u still want them snug...

:applause:

• Rman of 237

Posted April 29, 2008 - 09:33 PM

I mentioned having a slight decel. pop with the DJ 165 main and the stock 50 pilot. Martin suggested installing the 55 pilot and I did that today.
Not only did it clear up the popping but the bike is running better throughout the RPMs and slightly cooler. It cooled off 15deg as indicated on the temp gauge.:applause: Here's a few pics.

It took me about 45mins or so from start to finish.

Posted Image

The carb was spotless. It was as clean as it was when I installed the kit 2500mi. ago.

Posted Image

I wasn't sure what to think when I saw that the 55 pilot was longer but I went ahead and installed it anyway.:p

Posted Image

In this pic you can see the pilot seated. It's position is lower in the bowl but that didn't seem to cause any adverse effects.

Posted Image

If you look real close (kinda blurry) you can see what I was talking about when I asked about the difference in the shape of the DJ main and the Keihin main. The DJ main has less i.d. in the cavity leading down to the jet hole which must be to accommodate the taper of the DJ needle. DJ jet on left.

Posted Image

I might go ahead and install the Keihin 170 later on just to see how it runs but as it is right now with the 165/55 it's running great.:eek:
I sure wish the Keihin carb had the mainjet access plug on the bottom of the bowl like the Mikuni Pumper on my 440. That makes changing the main a 2min job!!

Rman.....

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 30, 2008 - 07:53 AM

In

http://i249.photobuc...cs/CIMG0923.jpg

you can see how the slosh baffle, if it wiggles over a bit, can intermittently cover the hole in the pilot jet.

May not happen, but it did to mine and took awhile to troubleshoot.

Ended up trimming back that part of my baffle.

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dieselfool

Posted May 28, 2008 - 10:32 AM

Well, it took awhile to read this whole thread, but I think I got it now. Correct me if I'm wrong. De-smoged, un-corked, Uni-filter, Dave's mods, stock exhaust at 1000' should be 55/158?

• martinfan30

Posted May 28, 2008 - 10:38 AM

Well, it took awhile to read this whole thread, but I think I got it now. Correct me if I'm wrong. De-smoged, un-corked, Uni-filter, Dave's mods, stock exhaust at 1000' should be 55/158?

That is all good EXCEPT, you will gain little without some better flowing exhaust.

• dieselfool

Posted May 28, 2008 - 10:43 AM

Thanks, not so worried about more power, just better throttle response and less backfiring. Have to keep it quiet around here.

• Rman of 237

Posted May 28, 2008 - 01:05 PM

In

http://i249.photobuc...cs/CIMG0923.jpg

you can see how the slosh baffle, if it wiggles over a bit, can intermittently cover the hole in the pilot jet.

May not happen, but it did to mine and took awhile to troubleshoot.

Ended up trimming back that part of my baffle.

Dave

Hey Dave, I meant to get back to you on what you said but this thread kinda died there and I forgot.:thumbsup: I'll keep it in mind about the baffle. Mine didn't seem to have much side to side play in it. I guess I jumped the gun when I said the 55 completely cleared up the popping. The other day out of the blue it popped again then quit, then awhile later it popped again then quit etc.... Was your bike intermittent like that? I'm going to pull the carb to install a 170 kiehin main just to see how it runs in a few days and I'll have a better look at the baffle.
Thanks

• XR650L_Dave

Posted May 28, 2008 - 01:44 PM

Hey Dave, I meant to get back to you on what you said but this thread kinda died there and I forgot.:thumbsup: I'll keep it in mind about the baffle. Mine didn't seem to have much side to side play in it. I guess I jumped the gun when I said the 55 completely cleared up the popping. The other day out of the blue it popped again then quit, then awhile later it popped again then quit etc.... Was your bike intermittent like that? I'm going to pull the carb to install a 170 kiehin main just to see how it runs in a few days and I'll have a better look at the baffle.
Thanks

The pop-n-quit is usually a sign the idle/low speed circuit needs a little fine-tuning.

Try going out a skosh on the fuel screw.

Dave

• Rman of 237

Posted June 01, 2008 - 05:24 AM

Heck, I'm already 4 1/2 turns out. Any more and it's gonna fall out.:ride: I'll keep monkeying with it. It just seems like no matter what I do it still runs lean.:thumbsup:

• martinfan30

Posted June 01, 2008 - 07:21 AM

Heck, I'm already 4 1/2 turns out. Any more and it's gonna fall out.:ride: I'll keep monkeying with it. It just seems like no matter what I do it still runs lean.:thumbsup:

Thats too far. You need a bigger pilot jet. Should be between 2-3 turns out.

Just go bigger one size.

• Rman of 237

Posted June 01, 2008 - 09:03 AM

Thats too far. You need a bigger pilot jet. Should be between 2-3 turns out.

Just go bigger one size.

I know it's too far out but that's my dilemma. I already went one size up to a 55 and don't get me wrong it made a big difference but it still seems lean. Do they even make a 60 for this carb?:thumbsup: I know my 2 local bike shops don't have one. I had to go into Houston just to find the 55.:ride:

• martinfan30

Posted June 01, 2008 - 09:47 AM

I know it's too far out but that's my dilemma. I already went one size up to a 55 and don't get me wrong it made a big difference but it still seems lean. Do they even make a 60 for this carb?:thumbsup: I know my 2 local bike shops don't have one. I had to go into Houston just to find the 55.:ride:

Get a 58. Some guys have great luck with the 58 when they are closer to sea level.

• Kenzo

Posted June 01, 2008 - 02:03 PM

i run a 55/160 here in H-Town...my bike is "opened-up" with a race exhaust...the 58 was too rich, with it the fuel screw had no effect...

...a little decel burble is not unheard and does not necessarly means ur lean...if there's alot or popping u may have a problem with the air cut-off valves operation(leans it out on decel), exhaust leak, etc...

:bonk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  132 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.