XR650L jetting

101 replies to this topic
  • Billscout

Posted March 20, 2008 - 04:50 AM

I've been looking all over the internet for a smog block off kit for an '07 XR650L. Do they make them for a bike this new? The latest I can find is on bajadesigns.com's website and I think that's for an '06 but not the '07. Any info would be greatly appreciated! :confused:

• Billscout

Posted March 20, 2008 - 04:53 AM

Huh....I just went back and read some of the previous posts. Guess I should have done that before posting in the first place! :confused: So, someone is saying that the smog block off for the '06 WILL work on the '07?? If that's the case then I'm buying one!

• martinfan30

Posted March 20, 2008 - 07:58 AM

Huh....I just went back and read some of the previous posts. Guess I should have done that before posting in the first place! :confused: So, someone is saying that the smog block off for the '06 WILL work on the '07?? If that's the case then I'm buying one!

There is no difference. The kit will fit.

Sometimes it takes companies a long time to update the catalogs.

• Rman of 237

Posted March 20, 2008 - 08:54 AM

Yeah, they're all the same. Don't sweat it.

• Billscout

Posted March 21, 2008 - 12:44 AM

There is no difference. The kit will fit.

Sometimes it takes companies a long time to update the catalogs.

OK, am I looking at the wrong kit then? I went on bajadesigns.com and bought the carb rejet kit and then I was also going to buy the smog block off kit too. When you click on it, it say, in big red letters: "Smog Block Off Kit, XR650L '93-'06 ONLY

**This kit works with 1993-2006 models only.
**Will not work on 2007 and newer XR650L.

Is this wrong or is there another smob block off kit somewhere that I can get. I have an '07 XR650L. If you guys say it will still fit, dispite what the website says, I'll give it a shot but I don't want to buy something I can't use. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong block off kit? :confused:

• Purcell69

Posted March 21, 2008 - 12:54 AM

I bought an IMS smog block off kit for an '06 and used it on my '07 650L with no problem whatsoever. I think the "Not for '07" disclaimer is to appease the smog gods, just like "For Off-Road Use Only". I haven't seen the Baja Designs kit, but I have seen the block off plates on ebay for about $10.00. I bought my IMS kit through the Thumpertalk store for about $22 if I remember correctly. If you really want the Baja Designs kit, you may send them an e-mail to confirm there is a significant difference between their '06 and '07 kit. Enginewise, the Honda is unchanged bewteen those years.

-Joe

• Billscout

Posted March 21, 2008 - 03:53 AM

I bought an IMS smog block off kit for an '06 and used it on my '07 650L with no problem whatsoever. I think the "Not for '07" disclaimer is to appease the smog gods, just like "For Off-Road Use Only". I haven't seen the Baja Designs kit, but I have seen the block off plates on ebay for about $10.00. I bought my IMS kit through the Thumpertalk store for about $22 if I remember correctly. If you really want the Baja Designs kit, you may send them an e-mail to confirm there is a significant difference between their '06 and '07 kit. Enginewise, the Honda is unchanged bewteen those years.

-Joe

Thanks for the information, Joe. I was only buying from bajadesigns because I've bought from them before and I knew they had what I wanted. I just purchased the smog block and the jet kit from here instead of Baja designs. Thanks for the info! :confused:

• martinfan30

Posted March 21, 2008 - 06:57 AM

Yeah you are safe. Purcell69 is correct.

• Billscout

Posted March 27, 2008 - 11:22 AM

OK, I hope I'm not being a pain but I just want to make sure what I'm doing is correct. I received my smog block off kit in the mail today as well as my Dynojet kit. I have read some of the instructions on the internet (and I believe on this site) on how to rejet your carb. The instructions I have read show that two holes need to be drilled. In the kit I received today, there is no mention in the directions for drilling any holes. Do I have the right kit? It has the correct bike model on it, '07 XR650L. It also mentions a note stating: "This kit was designed with the stock airbox in place and stock exhaust. Due to the carb bell mouth design, it is recommended that only the air filter be modified to enhance air flow."

Does this mean I shouldn't remove the snorkle? Has anyone else used this same carb jet kit? It's a DynoJet kit from Moose Racing.

• martinfan30

Posted March 27, 2008 - 11:32 AM

:prof:

OK, I hope I'm not being a pain but I just want to make sure what I'm doing is correct. I received my smog block off kit in the mail today as well as my Dynojet kit. I have read some of the instructions on the internet (and I believe on this site) on how to rejet your carb. The instructions I have read show that two holes need to be drilled. In the kit I received today, there is no mention in the directions for drilling any holes. Do I have the right kit? It has the correct bike model on it, '07 XR650L. It also mentions a note stating: "This kit was designed with the stock airbox in place and stock exhaust. Due to the carb bell mouth design, it is recommended that only the air filter be modified to enhance air flow."

Does this mean I shouldn't remove the snorkle? Has anyone else used this same carb jet kit? It's a DynoJet kit from Moose Racing.

You're not a pain.
The two holes get drilled when doing Daves Mods. I however did the DJET kit and drilled the holes anyway. I had very good throttle response that way. You're choice. The spring in the kit was desinged to do what drilling the holes accomplished.

Pull the snorkel off. They are referring to the removal of airbox and people using pod filters.

Just put in your djet kit, drill the slide if you want.

Then remove the snorkel, get a foam air filter.

Then do an exhaust.
:bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Billscout

Posted March 27, 2008 - 11:57 AM

:prof:

You're not a pain.
The two holes get drilled when doing Daves Mods. I however did the DJET kit and drilled the holes anyway. I had very good throttle response that way. You're choice. The spring in the kit was desinged to do what drilling the holes accomplished.

Pull the snorkel off. They are referring to the removal of airbox and people using pod filters.

Just put in your djet kit, drill the slide if you want.

Then remove the snorkel, get a foam air filter.

Then do an exhaust.
:bonk:

Thanks!! I already have the foam air filter and it's already installed. That's exactly what I needed to know! ;) Thanks for the fast response too! Exhaust is next! :confused:

• Rman of 237

Posted March 27, 2008 - 12:18 PM

Don't forget to install the sticker!!:confused:

Posted Image

That alone makes half the difference!!;)
Seriously though, you'll love your "new" bike.:prof: It'll really move now!!:bonk:

• Billscout

Posted March 28, 2008 - 01:32 AM

I always apply the stickers. My bike is an advertisement on wheels now! LOL I'm hoping the weather is nice today so I can get these things done. I can't wait to feel the difference. :prof:

• uhscumark

Posted April 26, 2008 - 03:59 PM

Hello to all. I've looked all over the net and it looks like the DJ kit is about it. Plan to stick one on my 02 650L soon. Hope between that and some gearing changes I can make this old dog dance. lol

• martinfan30

Posted April 26, 2008 - 04:31 PM

Hello to all. I've looked all over the net and it looks like the DJ kit is about it. Plan to stick one on my 02 650L soon. Hope between that and some gearing changes I can make this old dog dance. lol

Welcome to TT brother!

The djet kit will make difference. Make sure to remove the snorkel, add a foam air filter, and some good exhaust.

15/48 is a good all around choice. I carry a 14 tooth C/S sprocket for a quick change out when I hit the trail. 15/45(stock) is kind of worthless for anything but 100% road use.

• hondaxrl650

Posted April 26, 2008 - 07:03 PM

I did daves mods and I am runing a 55/158 with a stock exhaust at sea level and with very little pop on diesel.:thumbsup: on

• jeanluconze

Posted April 27, 2008 - 08:00 AM

I did daves mods and I am runing a 55/158 with a stock exhaust at sea level and with very little pop on diesel.:thumbsup: on

Me too, but I run unleaded.:ride: Dave's mod's are great and mostly FREE. $10 in jets can't be beat.

• martinfan30

Posted April 27, 2008 - 09:07 AM

I think the advantage with the DJET kit is the differently shaped needle.

• uhscumark

Posted April 27, 2008 - 09:51 AM

Jean,

I was going to do Dave's mod, but after checking around, I couldn't find any jets. It seemed to me that the only place I could get jets, other than factory, was in the DJ kit.
My plans are to make the bike a little more dirt oriented by making lighter and giving it more "umph" in the power department.

• hondaxrl650

Posted April 27, 2008 - 03:39 PM

Jean,

I was going to do Dave's mod, but after checking around, I couldn't find any jets. It seemed to me that the only place I could get jets, other than factory, was in the DJ kit.
My plans are to make the bike a little more dirt oriented by making lighter and giving it more "umph" in the power department.

I got my jets from the tt store...:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.