XR650L jetting

101 replies to this topic
  • uw153

Posted March 13, 2003 - 04:56 AM

I just contacted Baja Designs and was going to buy the jetting modification kit. I was told they don't carry this anymore. They only have the Dyno-jet kit. I thougt the Dyno-jet kit didn't cure the popping and hesitation problems. I might be all wet on this but didn't the mod kit have some info on the accelerator modifications along with the correct jetting information to fix the lean running condition? Can anyone help me here? It is finally getting warmer here so I am looking to uncork the beast and have some fun. Right now my DR650 will run circles around the XR.

• seebee

Posted March 13, 2003 - 05:49 AM

uw153, I just installed the Dyno jet kit on Sunday and it has made a significant difference in performance. I was too geeked from my newfound performance to pay attention to the popping but I will ride it later tonight and see. My understanding of the initial hesitation is that with a constant velocity carb the hesitation will always be there at the beginning unless you replace the carb itself with a Quiksilver or pumper-type carb if they even make one for the L(hopefully someone else will clear this up).

I did the valve job which made it feel smoother and installed the Dyno-jet kit (needle third clip from the top and the 160 main) with a Uni filter yesterday and it does make a BIG difference in power. I have one question though, I am using the stock exhaust until I get my Thunder Alley pipe in 3-4 weeks, and was wondering why they have put a much larger slow jet in the kit and if I need to replace this at this stage, or if I would need to replace it with the addition of the exhaust. I'm ignorant as to what the differences between the slow-jet and the pilot jet are. little help?

Chris

• uw153

Posted March 13, 2003 - 06:01 AM

Chris, I think the slow jet is to help out the bottom end to midrange circut. I think you can get more detailed info on this forum from those who deal with this stuff more often. I intalled a Kit on my DR and all it has was the needle, a few jets, and a drill bit. Worked well, although it pops on decel also. I think thats because i have a too small of air jet. I could be wrong though.

• seebee

Posted March 13, 2003 - 06:17 AM

uw153, I left the stock pilot jet in there because I wasn't sure If I needed to change it with the stock pipe. I believe if I remember correctly I lost a decent amount of the popping on deceleration when I installed the IMS smog block-off kit, I also lost few useless pounds. The Dyno kit came with a different size spring a 55 pilot jet ( I believe the stock is 50) and both 160 and 165 main jets, needle,needle clip and clip washer and a certificate for a free dyno-test at a local shop in your area. Oh! and 2 stickers LOL.

Chris

• jstevens

Posted March 14, 2003 - 11:07 AM

Hi Guys,

This past weekend I installed the Dyno-Jet kit also. Let me tell you it's the way to go! The bike is not the same bike, I feel like i'm on my buddies xr650r as far as power goes and throtle responce goes. The BD kit does not include the slow jet, but if you order via white brothers they (WB) add it in as in there testing it showed low end improvements. the $20.00 kit with the drill bit I guess is history now. In my case I added on the aftermarket FMF pipe and went with the 165 main jet like the instructions said. My suggestions, Put in all of the parts and get the after market pipe. There really is an improvement throughout the entire range of RPM's on the bike after the upgrade.
:)

• uw153

Posted March 14, 2003 - 12:20 PM

Did you get the "Q" muffler? I am looking into that one and am really interested in how quiet it really is. Not cheap though.

• jstevens

Posted March 16, 2003 - 02:31 PM

When I started this whole "uncorking" thing I wanted the "Q" On this site there was an old post from 2002 where the guy did pictures and tried to brake down for us step by step the Jetting and exhaust install. Following the guys lead I got my cash together.
Actually I ordered my pipe the FMF PCIV from GMO1.com after a magazine site 5% discount for $249.95 (249.95 is total w/ shipping already in the price)They drop shiped actually from White Brothers and I got a freeking "Q" which is more expensive The boxed was mis labled. Being so excited I kind of didn't care and wanted to put that on my bike. But my buddie put so much pressure on me to send that thing back and get the Power Core IV with Sparke arrestor instead. (you see he has the 650R with the power up kit) Fore those of you who want to know the sound I'd say that my PCIV pipe sounds along the same DB's as the 650r, but it's a slightly different sound. In other words I like my better :D then the hop up tip in the 650r's.
So I sent the "Q" quiet pipe back... Bummer!! Two freeking weekes later, the correct pipe arrived and we installed it along with the 50.00 dyno jet kit from WBrothers, and let me tell you it's a differnt bike. My bike performance sucked prior to now. I just got back today from an all day ride. Those mods still leave me baffeled as to how well the bike now performs. It's like I'm still in shock, or night and day! Honda should never sell a 650L with that chocked down exhaust like that! Same on them. ( I know guys it's EPA stuff.. )

woops, back to you..... If you need a QUIET bike get the "Q" Per a phone call to FMF and from other posts on this forum, I opens your bike up and makes it loader but not to the point where it's a Harley or something. Around 94-96 db, stock is like 87 - 89. My Power Core IV w/SA isn't even that load. Funny, A freeking Harley passed me today on the way home and all I could here was his exhaust over my own. And I love me exhaust sound.
Optionally, you see there are so many ways to muffel or quiet down the sound on a muffler that has the moduler endcap. You can't go wrong. For example for 15.00 bucks you can by the packing and extra wrap the baffle to basically quite down the pipe even more if you had to. I called FMF and they sell a 1/1-2 inch and a 2 inch endcap for the Q that can open it up a little more giving you more power and noise if you wanted to. Or you can do the reviese, buy getting the FMF PCIV w/sa and then buy the $20.00 quiet end cap to make my pipe quieter. In the End my point is get a slip-on pipe that moduler / upgradeable. Do it this week, you won't regret it.
Good luck,
Justin :)

• dirtybajaguy

Posted November 05, 2006 - 08:08 AM

the 175 main,68s pilot.needle,&pro circut t-4 works bitchen!
cut out the side cover@air box and pull out the rubber pices at the top.

• IXLR82FST

Posted July 13, 2007 - 03:02 PM

what is the stock jetting size? i have a 50 pilot and a 165 main, and at 65mph if i go and want to pass someone on the freeway,it acts like it's not getting enough fuel.

• IXLR82FST

Posted July 13, 2007 - 03:03 PM

sorry...i have a '03 XR650L with a white bro. E sieries pipe

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • IXLR82FST

Posted July 13, 2007 - 03:06 PM

has anyone put their 650L on a dyno test to find out exactly what jet size they need for the type of riding they do?

• IXLR82FST

Posted July 13, 2007 - 03:42 PM

sorry guys....i have a 50 pilot, and a 160 main jet

• Rman of 237

Posted July 13, 2007 - 10:51 PM

what is the stock jetting size? i have a 50 pilot and a 165 main, and at 65mph if i go and want to pass someone on the freeway,it acts like it's not getting enough fuel.

You should be getting plenty of fuel with the 165/50 setup. What other free mods have you done to your bike. With that jetting you might be getting to much fuel. Let me rephrase that, you might not be getting enough air. My bike is completely uncorked and it will go from 65 to 85mph in 6sec's with the same jetting.:thumbsup:

Rman....

• IXLR82FST

Posted July 14, 2007 - 05:49 AM

i have a 160 for my main,not a 165 like i thought,(old with poor eye sight,LOL) as far as my air box goes i'm guessing it's stock, i bought this bike used,with the mods already done. i have the opening at the top of the air box,under the seat,and uni filter installed. by looking at it you would thing it would be plenty of air,maybe not.

• Rman of 237

Posted July 14, 2007 - 08:35 AM

i have a 160 for my main,not a 165 like i thought,(old with poor eye sight,LOL) as far as my air box goes i'm guessing it's stock, i bought this bike used,with the mods already done. i have the opening at the top of the air box,under the seat,and uni filter installed. by looking at it you would thing it would be plenty of air,maybe not.

Put in the 165 and you should see a big difference. With the 160, you might not be getting enough fuel after all.
Rman...

• TexasXR650L

Posted July 14, 2007 - 02:00 PM

i installed a dynojet on friday, took it out today and wow. new bike! removed the smog pump, and the dynojet, no popping. carb needs small adjustment still.

• IXLR82FST

Posted July 14, 2007 - 02:07 PM

got me a 165 main,going to install it,and i'll let you guys know how it runs. thanks for all the in put guys! one last ?, is there anything i need to do with the air box? should i leave it alone? it's stock

• Rman of 237

Posted July 14, 2007 - 05:03 PM

got me a 165 main,going to install it,and i'll let you guys know how it runs. thanks for all the in put guys! one last ?, is there anything i need to do with the air box? should i leave it alone? it's stock

On my '06, there was a plastic piece with the air inlet holes riveted to the top of the airbox. Removing it will increase the size of the intake significantly. Some folks have drilled holes in the left side panel to increase it even more.

Rman.....

• TexasXR650L

Posted July 15, 2007 - 01:18 PM

remove the snorkel in the top of the air box under the seat. soon ill be cutting out the side plastic with a design and screen to allow even more air if she wants it. Do you still have the smog pump?

• Rman of 237

Posted July 15, 2007 - 06:57 PM

remove the snorkel in the top of the air box under the seat. soon ill be cutting out the side plastic with a design and screen to allow even more air if she wants it. Do you still have the smog pump?

TexasXR, check out ADVrider.com. and search XR650 and look at the cool side panel hole designs!!
R....

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.