Bike trailers

8 replies to this topic
  • Rick_Graham

Posted February 17, 2001 - 02:39 PM

Does any body know of a 4 place bike trailer on rails like the standard 2 and 3 place trailers? I'm looking for something light,yet can hold 4 full-size bikes. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• robman

Posted February 17, 2001 - 03:02 PM

I built one that's pretty cool, it hauls four bikes plus some cargo,it's light and easy to pull.it measures 5x10 plus 4 foot toung. I'll send you a picture as soon as I get a chance to.

• MN_Kevin

Posted February 18, 2001 - 02:33 AM

Don't know the manufacturer, but the aluminum trailers are very light. Out here in NH, the sled trailers, 6 x 8 in aluminum with the larger deflector in front, are VERY popular.

------------------
'99 WZ with all YZ mods, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat.

• DRZ400PA

Posted February 18, 2001 - 08:11 AM

Try www.kartworld.com

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rick_Graham

Posted February 18, 2001 - 09:45 AM

Thanks for the ideas guy's, but I guess what I'm really asking is does anybody know of someone or some company that is manufacturing a four rail motorcycle trailer? I need it to be light because with my camper on my truck the gas milage will kill me, I only get about 7 mpg as it is.
I have looked into enclosed, utility, and weekend warrior type trailers and would like to aviod spending more than 2k on a trailer at this time.

• MN_Kevin

Posted February 18, 2001 - 04:13 PM

Rick,
A 6 x 8 flatbed, in aluminum, may be your best bet. You can buy the rack your front (or rear) tire pops into. What may be best is either stagger the bikes so the bars don't bang into each other, or have the first facing front, the second facing rear, third - front, fourth - rear. I have done this for 22 years and never had a problem. The rack the tire fits into normally runs about $15 a piece. I would recommend finding a way to stabilize the second tire, either a tie down, or between two eye bolts etc. Too many times I have seen bikes falling due to only one tire being tied down.

• Rick_Graham

Posted February 19, 2001 - 10:48 PM

kevin,
I think the flatbed is the direction I'm heading. I found some pretty solidly built 6x10 and 6x12 trailers for around $1200. 3000lb axles,15" tires and 2' side rails with loading ramp. I can add tounge mounted security box for about $250.
Thanks,
Rick

• darbsitton

Posted February 20, 2001 - 03:12 AM

Using a bike shoe to clamp down the front wheel means you can get more bikes in a narrower space. Eliminating tie downs saves 1-2 feet to the side of each outside bike. Also stagger the bikes by about a foot so handle bars don't touch. We fit 3 bikes on a 4 foot wide flat bed trailer. Recommend strapping the rear tire down so it doesn't hop off of the trailer :)

Have also seen setups with one bike mounted sideways on a long trailer.

• BillyinColorado

Posted February 24, 2001 - 10:30 PM

Not sure who makes one now, but the last trailer I had had a rail that extended up most of the tongue in the center. I was a able to get one full size and one smaller bike on it with that. Point being that if you buy a trailer with a long enough tonge you may be able to add this rail extension and fit four on. Probably won't break the bank doing it either.

------------------
Bill in Colo: '01 WR426F, '98 KLX300R, '01 TTR125L, '78 DR370, '74 DT360A. (My wife is a saint!)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.