Swapping to YZ250F forks/shock

3 replies to this topic
  • zorroz

Posted May 29, 2009 - 03:04 AM

Got the opportunity to swap over these parts from an 06 YZ250F to my 07 WR450F. I hear these forks swap straight over using my wheel and clamps. I was going to use my upgraded springs into the 250 suspension. Is it worth it and should I swap the shock over as well or just the forks?

• grayracer513

Posted May 29, 2009 - 05:51 AM

The rear spring should fit without a problem. The fronts will not; two different forks. You will almost certainly also find that both the shock and forks need to be re-valved in order to perform well on the heavier bike.

The other problem you will encounter is that the '06 YZF fork tubes are spaced 2mm wider in the clamps than yours are. If you use the forks in your clamps, the axle will overhang on the right side by 2mm, and the wheel will be off center by 1mm. There may also be caliper/rotor alignment problems. You would be better off to switch the steering stems and use the YZF clamps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zorroz

Posted May 30, 2009 - 05:12 PM

Thanks for that info going to get the wr forks revalved instead!

• grayracer513

Posted May 31, 2009 - 05:52 AM

If I wanted to revalve a WR, I would talk with Dave Johnson at Smart Performance. He can either do the work for you, or sell you a DIY kit for the fork and the shock.

Dave had an almost obsessive determination that he was going to make the single chamber KYB fork work, and he finally got it done with a radical departure from simple shim shuffling. His Phase 4 forks for the old YZ426/450 were unbelievably good. Now he has expended his latest technology to include the WR. If you don't look into this, you'll be missing your best shot at really great suspension, IMO.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.