xr 400 fork seal

3 replies to this topic
  • rk_xr_400_rider

Posted 28 May 2009 - 02:17 PM

my fork seal on my 400 just started leaking a couple days ago and how long do i have before i have to replace it, and should i do the conversion myself or take it to the local shop?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DGXR

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:25 PM

I've heard from several sources that you can use forks with blown seals as long as you want. The only problem is that the leaking seal causes different oil levels between the forks, which causes different damping rates and can strain/stress the front axle because each fork leg wants to compress at a different rate. I got tired of changing fork seals so I dropped the oil level in the good fork to the same level as the blown one, and just ride. Yes the damping is less than before but I'm not a pro so it does not matter that much.

• rk_xr_400_rider

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:15 PM

alright thanks for the tips

• Trailryder42

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:41 AM

Pull down the dust seal, the oil seal is above that. Run the corner of a regular business card up past the seal lip and run it all the way around the seal. You might just have a piece of grit stuck in it.

Clean out the dust seal while you have it down.

Run you hand up and down the fork tube feeling for nicks and file then down. If you have any nicks, they might have damaged the seal and you'll end up needing to replace it.

Replacing seals is pretty easy. Learn to do it yourself. Lots of How-Tos around here.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Typical? oxidation/pitting. wear indications by NEODS

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR250/400
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

xr280r break-in by 93XR277R

• Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

XR400 - 440 kit long term longevity by XR Pilot

• Hot  51 replies
Forums
Photo

Scotts stabilizer on XR400 by MarkandtheBRP

• 13 replies
Forums
Photo

TRX400EX WHITE BROTHERS E-SERIES MUFFLER MOD TO FIT 93 XR250 by CRF450XINOZ

• Hot  26 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.