Need some 426 help

27 replies to this topic
  • 2000426Rider

Posted May 31, 2009 - 07:39 PM

Check the stator output when hot. Also go through it and clean all electrical connections and apply dielectric grease to maintain good connectivity. Also check TPS

• grayracer513

Posted May 31, 2009 - 09:11 PM

Compression testers are fairly useless with auto decompression engines and that's why no specification is published in the manual. Have a leak down test done instead.

• dmoney2023

Posted June 01, 2009 - 11:03 AM

I have to pull the lever to decompress, so I don't auto decompress do I? Either way I don't feel like I lose compression when I kick it when it is dead anyway. I'll research the leak down test.

• grayracer513

Posted June 01, 2009 - 11:52 AM

Even with manual decompression, Yamaha did not publish compression figures. A good compression test would require that you crank the engine through several complete compression strokes, which in a healthy 426 is practically impossible.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jbrooks26

Posted June 01, 2009 - 06:47 PM

I built my own leak down tester. Pretty sure I got the idea from someone on TT, but if you would like I can try to send you some pictures. It was pretty easy thought, I used a brass fitting, an old spark plug, a flexible grease hose, and a quick connect air hose fitting.

• dmoney2023

Posted June 01, 2009 - 07:13 PM

Ya that would be sweet. PM it if you can.

• dmoney2023

Posted June 02, 2009 - 05:19 PM

Looks like I am going to get my hands on that 2002 426, so this current problem is going to be put on the back burner for now.

But I started a new thread about how I could combine the 2000 and the 2002. Thanks for all your help on this one. Thanks in advance for any help on the new question, it's a bit easier too. Here is the new thread:

• dmoney2023

Posted June 10, 2009 - 06:48 AM

Well, I've taken off my bike:

handle bars
both tires
rear brake res.
clutch case cover
fly wheel case cover
both radiators
full plastics

And fixed:
Muffler basically hanging off
rear brake
changed oil (first time??? ouch...)
air filter change (again, first time?)

Now I just hope the neglect of the previous owner doesn't cause the bike to die on the first ride after I've put all this work into it.

As for the 2000, I'm going to basically get it put back together with spare parts and limp it into the shop and have them tear it apart and see if it's even worth fixing once they get it diagnosed.

thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.