winter storage (02 wr 426)

7 replies to this topic
  • onyxxx

Posted September 05, 2002 - 05:50 AM

I was wondering what some of you guys do to your bike when you store it for a extended period of time. I live in Michigan and will be storing it for the winter. Any tips would be great. Thanks

• lewichris

Posted September 05, 2002 - 07:07 AM

I drain my gas. Let the bike run its self out of gas. Put in an old plug that dosent work and change the oil. I take off the chain and put it in a bag of oil, grease all the bearings that i can get to so water dosent rust anything away and i put it up on the stand. That is what i do. Not sure if you need to use stabul fuel stabalizer or not. Cant remember.

• Highsider1

Posted September 05, 2002 - 07:19 AM

I bought a new '02 recently, and if I remember correctly the book says to drain tank and carb, add a teaspoon of engine to the cylinder (through the spark plug hole)and crank the engine a couple of times, place the bike on a stand so the weight is off the wheels. There may be more.... Read the manual that came with the bike, it has alot of usefull info and tips

• Ernie_Taylor

Posted September 05, 2002 - 01:08 PM

IF you got access to all the time I would just but it on a stand and start it a few times a month
Then before you take it out in the spring change the oil and gas. This works great as you get to ride up and down the driveway and dream about :) summer.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Christie

Posted September 06, 2002 - 01:36 AM

Winter storage? What a waste! Get a set of good spike-tires, and you'll have the time of your life, I promise! :)

• stanley

Posted September 06, 2002 - 04:47 AM

Buy some Stabil and put on some Telleborgs or spike your own. Electric handwarmers help too, just have your stator rewound for some juice. Even if you are just moto-skating up and down your street for a half hour on weekends it is better than letting it sit. I go out in snow storms and cruise down the street (no traffic please) then blip the throttle to do a 180while still moving in the original direction. Great for practicing balance and if you fall you just slide on your snowsuit with plenty of padding. Don't park it find a way to enjoy it.

• racemile

Posted September 06, 2002 - 10:14 AM

Winter Storage?!?!?! But, knobbies can be so entertaining in the snow. One of the most entertaining rides in my life was down a trail with about 3 inches of snow on it. Just enough to hid the rocks.....until the front tire found them. Talk about honing your reflexes!!!

• zOmega26

Posted September 06, 2002 - 10:32 AM

Does anyone know where I can find out more information about riding in snow/ice?

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.