excel crf 450 wheels fit my xr650r?

I just bought a pair of 17 Excels with excel pro series hubs that came off a crf 450. I've searched and found that the crf uses 25mm axle and the 650 uses a 20mm, but as long as the distance between the sprocket and the disc is the same there will be a way. As for the front i heard it didnt line up as well. it has braking rotors on it, the front is oversized and says STX51D if that has anything to do with size. I havent tried line up or measure anything yet.

My Questions are where could i get custom spacers? I can get different carriers for the hubs maybe that will work? It came with a caliper extension that wont work with the 650?

Im sure someone has tried this... so any and all info helps thanks guys

I just mounted a set of CRF SM wheels to one of my XRR's, so it can be done. As you have already noted, the CRF rear axle is 25mm and the XRR is 20mm, so no big deal to make a spacer that has an additional portion that slips between the bearing and axle. I have CRF forks on my bike, so the front end was straight forward for me, but you would probably need to do something similar on the front, because the CRF uses a 20mm front axle, and the XRR uses a 17mm front axle. 3mm (actually 1.5mm/side) might be getting too thin to use aluminum, so I would recommend steel, and have them hardened too. Bob Russell (RTR Precision Wheel lacing (813) 949-6211) made my spacers for me, and I may be able to even help you out with the dimensions for the rear wheel if you send me a PM. I think that he only does aluminum, and they are raw, not anodized, but they work and his price was good. Fwiw, I think he can do the anodizing, but it wasn't worth it to send the spacers back to him.

btw, you posted this twice, so you may want to delete one.

Thanks for posting that #. I have a CRF Frt Excel wheel w/Talon hub. I already fit wheel w/shim so I can run 17mm axle, but I need different spacers, and nobody seems to know much about the spacers I need. I have a Excel/Talon rear wheel, and wanted a matching frt wheel for my 97 XR600r w/CR500 USD frt end

What I did was to measure the distance that the stock XR spacer stuck out past the mounting surface for the rotor on the stock XR wheel. Then took the same measurement with CRF spacer in the CRF wheel and calculated the difference. Then I measured the length of the CRF spacer, and added the calculated difference for the "new/required" spacer. I repeated this procedure for the other side using the Sprocket mounting surface for my reference point, but you'd need figure out a good reference point for the right side of the front wheel. After had these measurements, I made up a simple drawing for each spacer. For the part that slides underneath the bearings, I had him add more than enough to be sure that the bearing was fully supported, and don't forget that there's 2 bearings on the sprocket/drive side. I then sent it to Bob, and 4 days later I had exactly what I needed. The only screw up was that he didn't cut the groove for the seal, so I had a friend do it locally.

Here are my drawings for the Excel Pro Series Hubs w/CRF carriers. I don't know if these measurements will work for you, so you should definitely do your own measuring.

RearSpacer-SprocketSide.jpg

RearSpacer-BrakeSide.jpg

I just mounted a set of CRF SM wheels to one of my XRR's, so it can be done. As you have already noted, the CRF rear axle is 25mm and the XRR is 20mm, so no big deal to make a spacer that has an additional portion that slips between the bearing and axle. I have CRF forks on my bike, so the front end was straight forward for me, but you would probably need to do something similar on the front, because the CRF uses a 20mm front axle, and the XRR uses a 17mm front axle. 3mm (actually 1.5mm/side) might be getting too thin to use aluminum, so I would recommend steel, and have them hardened too. Bob Russell (RTR Precision Wheel lacing (813) 949-6211) made my spacers for me, and I may be able to even help you out with the dimensions for the rear wheel if you send me a PM. I think that he only does aluminum, and they are raw, not anodized, but they work and his price was good. Fwiw, I think he can do the anodizing, but it wasn't worth it to send the spacers back to him.

btw, you posted this twice, so you may want to delete one.

Thanks a lot!!!!!!! :crazy: So with just the spacers in the rear the sprocket and rotor lined up perfectly? The rear tire was centered in the swingarm? And for the front, it has a Braking rotor on it so i could get a caliper relocation bracket for the 650 from them. But if i get custom spacers made to center the the rotor in the caliper will my front wheel still be centered in the fork?

Thanks a lot!!!!!!! :crazy: So with just the spacers in the rear the sprocket and rotor lined up perfectly? The rear tire was centered in the swingarm? And for the front, it has a Braking rotor on it so i could get a caliper relocation bracket for the 650 from them. But if i get custom spacers made to center the the rotor in the caliper will my front wheel still be centered in the fork?

Yes, the rear wheel centered up nicely with the custom spacers, just remember that my measurements may or may not work for you because I have different hubs, so take your own measurements to make sure. As far as the front wheel is concerned, I have a CRF front end on both of my XRR's, so I never tried to make the CRF wheels work with the XR forks, but I would guess that it could be done, even if you had to space the rotor out. Double check your measurements and then maybe have a friend check them (unless you're not 100% confident) before you have the spacers made. Good Luck.