easy yz450f home mods

12 replies to this topic

Posted May 26, 2009 - 08:03 PM

i was wondering if anyone knows of easy at home mods i have a 05 and looked through the stickies first but didnt realy see to much :crazy:

• TIG88

Posted May 27, 2009 - 12:40 PM

Man its pretty much tuned as good as its gonna get, without getting into things like high comp pistons, and cams. A slip on exhaust, and jets to suit your alititude are pretty easy. You have an 05, so raising the forks 5-10mm will help your cornering. Good luck!

• grayracer513

Posted May 27, 2009 - 01:00 PM

So, then, you didn't see this one?

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=634724

...or the thread describing the problem:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=575367 ?

If you ride in sand and/or mud, you want to do this:

http://members.cox.n...r/wearplate.htm

Otherwise, they don't really need much modding. If you feel like the engine lacks mid range punch, change the exhaust....to anything.

Get rid of the original chain immediately.

• hyperflow

Posted May 27, 2009 - 01:21 PM

i think he ment performence mods, Check the jetting section. Also check for the o-ring mod. Thoes are the 2 cheapest ways to get any power.

Posted May 27, 2009 - 01:39 PM

thanks ya i wuz just looking for a little more umpf without taking a whole weekend to do something ill check out the oring

• grayracer513

Posted May 27, 2009 - 02:20 PM

The O-ring mod provides no extra power. If you don't have a problem with throttle response, it won't do anything else, either.

The exhaust system is the single biggest thing you can do to an '08. Forget the experiences you've had with aftermarket pipes on other bikes. That doesn't apply here. If more snap is what you are after, change the exhaust. Don't waste your time thinking there's a less expensive way around it.

The two mods I listed won't make the bike faster, but they will make it last longer without running into a problem, and neither of them takes more than an hour to do, or costs more than $5.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hyperflow

Posted May 27, 2009 - 05:20 PM

The O-ring mod provides no extra power. If you don't have a problem with throttle response, it won't do anything else, either.

The exhaust system is the single biggest thing you can do to an '08. Forget the experiences you've had with aftermarket pipes on other bikes. That doesn't apply here. If more snap is what you are after, change the exhaust. Don't waste your time thinking there's a less expensive way around it.

The two mods I listed won't make the bike faster, but they will make it last longer without running into a problem, and neither of them takes more than an hour to do, or costs more than $5.

Throttle response is power no? If your bike responds quicker then the other bike beside you your gonna get a lil jump on him. Like the Classic saying goes "it dosn;t matter if you win by a inch or a mile, winning is winning :crazy:

• grayracer513

Posted May 27, 2009 - 05:54 PM

Throttle response is power no?

No, it's not. It's the same power sooner is all, and as I said, if you have no problem with that, there's no benefit. The O-ring mod on an '08 would be a cover-up for poor jetting and bad riding habits.

• MX1967

Posted May 27, 2009 - 07:37 PM

Why are you talking about an 08? He's asking about an 05.

• grayracer513

Posted May 27, 2009 - 09:12 PM

Not sure, actually.

But now that you have focused me a bit better, the downfall of the '05 was its ignition map. If you can find a good deal on either a stock '03-'04 CDI, or a Vortex ignition, that's where you want to concentrate your efforts.

The same thing applies to accelerator pump "hop-ups" for the '05 as for the '08.

• hyperflow

Posted May 29, 2009 - 11:40 AM

No, it's not. It's the same power sooner is all, and as I said, if you have no problem with that, there's no benefit. The O-ring mod on an '08 would be a cover-up for poor jetting and bad riding habits.

Not to be a dick, but sooner power does make your bike faster. Its a pretty much free mod to do. I dont see any reason not to do it.

• grayracer513

Posted May 29, 2009 - 12:25 PM

Not to be a dick, but sooner power does make your bike faster.

Only if it hooks up.

Look. The accelerator pump's main purpose is to provide enough gas to get the engine to transition from the idle circuit to the main circuit without stumbling. Once the throttle is opened, they do nothing. If your engine doesn't bog when you rip into it, no modification you do to the accelerator pump will do anything but make matters worse.

I learned how to ride long before motorcycles had AP's on the carb, and we learned how to jet the bike correctly and to ride it without causing a stumble. My son, on the other hand did not learn that long ago, and yet he has no trouble, either. Neither of my '06's ever cough, stumble, sag, or bog when ridden because they are both jetted right, and because neither my son or I ride around yanking the throttle open like a teen-aged goon on a CR250 ( "Not to be a dick" :crazy: ).

I can shut either of them off by snapping the throttle open at idle in neutral and holding it there, but I don't care, because I never ride in neutral, and I don't work the throttle like that. So, since they don't have a problem that an AP mod will correct, it will not make either of them faster to do one, and again, there is usually another, more correct way to fix the problem when it exists.

• hyperflow

Posted May 29, 2009 - 06:42 PM

Only if it hooks up.

Geez now your just nit picking :crazy:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.