'05 top and bottom rebuild - What service?

3 replies to this topic
  • EddieTNT

Posted May 25, 2009 - 07:38 PM

A friend wants me to do a complete rebuild (top and bottom) on his YZ. His cases are broken (chain derailment) so that needs opening for sure. What should I do/look for in the top end? He bought the bike used and from the looks of the bike it has lead a pretty hard life. Should I automatically replace things such as the timing chain? What 4 stroke specific tools do I need?

Sorry in advance for the stupid questions. None of my bikes have valves so I need some educating here. Thanks!

• EddieTNT

Posted May 26, 2009 - 03:07 PM

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • spc mike

Posted May 26, 2009 - 06:10 PM

well...i could try to type out over half of the owners manual for a yz450f or you could just get a hold of one and that will answer about 99% of your questions. The owners manual will be great because it will give you all of the specs and tolorences of the whole engine, top to bottom.

• EddieTNT

Posted May 27, 2009 - 04:38 AM

Thanks Mike, that would be my first step. What I was hoping for here was perhaps a list of likely problem areas inside the engine. I figured people here would have that type of information. I know these bikes are pretty bomb proof, but I thought perhaps there where specifics I should pay extra attention to. Thanks again. The new manual in on its way.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.