4 replies to this topic
  • Kyledvor61

Posted May 25, 2009 - 07:35 PM

Just got my motor back together.

Motor is getting fuel
Has good spark, fresh plug
cams are timed perfect, valve lash etc. is all perfect
Turns over as it should

motor kicks over fine like usual. It will pop a little but thats all. When you pullstart it and dump into gear, it turns over and halfassed runs for under a second then dies. I'm really at a loss here. It has spark and fuel. Only thing I can think of is jetting is way off. The setup before was stock head and airbox. Now I have a ported head and an open intake.

Any ideas? The motor is a 426 bottom end and a 450 cylinder and head. Its in a quad frame with oil conversion if that matters

Thanks guys

• spark250

Posted May 26, 2009 - 06:18 AM

although you said it's all good it sounds like a spark plug or timing. Does it have 450 cams?
Is it possible that the timing needs to be set differently considering a 426 crank and timing marks and 450 cam timing marks?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kent Rathgeber

Posted May 26, 2009 - 06:23 AM

Check your intake system from the airbox in. The only reason that engine isn't running (assuming the cams are timed correctly, you're getting fuel and spark) is that it's not getting any oxygen.

I have heard of people leaving rags in the intake tract during rebuilds :crazy:
(no, not me :eek:)

• Kyledvor61

Posted May 26, 2009 - 06:37 PM

its a 426 bottom end, 450 cylinder and head, with 450 cams. I just assumed the timing would be the same as a 450, as thats what I set it to.

and ill check the intake tommorrow, though I highly doubt thats what it is, ill still check though

do the cams need to timed different since the bottom end is 426?

• Kyledvor61

Posted May 26, 2009 - 06:38 PM

and the plug is brand new, just put in on reassembly. CR8ES comes to mind

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.