09 Yamaha YZ450 carb choke leaking fuel??

4 replies to this topic
  • moving4ward

Posted May 23, 2009 - 04:40 PM

Hey everyone, new to the site and this would be my first post. I have a question about my newly bought 09 YZ450. I noticed today that when i went to pull out the choke on the carb that it(the choke lever) was leaking fuel. So my question is, is there a seal or o-ring that may have gone bad? Also being that i do have a 30 day warranty(still good) should i take it in to the dealer and have them replace it or would it be easier to do it myself? Any and all input is greatly appreciated!

• grayracer513

Posted May 23, 2009 - 05:25 PM

There should be no fuel in that passageway unless the engine is running with the choke on. You have a carb flooding, most likely, or the leak is somewhere else. If it's under warranty take it back.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • moving4ward

Posted May 23, 2009 - 08:10 PM

There should be no fuel in that passageway unless the engine is running with the choke on. You have a carb flooding, most likely, or the leak is somewhere else. If it's under warranty take it back.

Even with the bike shutoff(fuel petcock on) it still leaks out from behind the slide?(when i pull the choke out) And i do not see it leaking anywhere else at all. I dont know, im pretty confused because if there isnt supposed to be fuel in that passageway how is it getting there even if its flooding? Im not a carb person, so i dont know a whole lot. It bothers me because its brand new. Any other ideas grayracer? Oh and my left fork seal has already started leaking!:doh:

• grayracer513

Posted May 23, 2009 - 08:26 PM

If the carb floods, fuel will rise from the proper level and find it's way out of the carb through a lot of places it doesn't belong. Instead of having to be drawn up past the choke valve by moving air, it can just flow out through there. Take it in, and get it fixed.

• moving4ward

Posted May 24, 2009 - 08:48 AM

If the carb floods, fuel will rise from the proper level and find it's way out of the carb through a lot of places it doesn't belong. Instead of having to be drawn up past the choke valve by moving air, it can just flow out through there. Take it in, and get it fixed.

Thanks for the help Gray, ill definately be taking it in.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.