03 wr450 whining noise

7 replies to this topic
  • knuckleduster271

Posted May 23, 2009 - 03:01 PM

My bike has developed a "whining" noise that increases as the rpm's get higher. It never done this before nor do my friends wr's do it. It's not a knock or a tap its just a high pitched whine coming from the engine. The engine doesnt have very many hours on it. Any help would be greatly apprieciated.

• knuckleduster271

Posted May 24, 2009 - 10:45 AM

any ideas????

Posted May 24, 2009 - 02:52 PM

By chance did you recently put a skid plate on it. If so you'll hear all kinds of mechanical noises you never noticed before. Just a thought.

• knuckleduster271

Posted May 25, 2009 - 04:50 PM

no skid plate, this is a noise that it has just developed in the last week.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BEAN329

Posted May 25, 2009 - 05:06 PM

a coupe of questions, does it do it sitting still, or when moving. Did you do anything with the air filter or subframe. did you just change the oil.

• DrzDasher

Posted May 25, 2009 - 08:49 PM

Are you sure it isn't a chirp? If it is more like a high pitch chirp coming from the engine area, it is the carb. Other than that I don't know.

• knuckleduster271

Posted May 26, 2009 - 07:00 AM

It does it all the time, its is a whine similar to a turbine or a car with a gear drive in it. I can tell for sure its in the engine. Last night while trying to diagnose it I saw that my water pump has a slight leak. Think this could be the problem? I havnt done any recent maintenence either.

• ncampion

Posted May 26, 2009 - 09:38 AM

Fix the water pump and see if it goes away. You will have to do the pump anyway, could be the cause.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.