I'm Back!!

7 replies to this topic
  • mn519

Posted May 22, 2009 - 10:30 PM

Well after selling the 06 yz290f and 06 yz450 and trying to quit MX cold turkey a year and a half ago, I've fallen off the wagon. I'm addicted and can't help it. I pick up my 09 yz450 in the morning :doh:

My last yzf's were stone cold reliable, and I dont see alot of major changes that should afect reliability. But I wanted to ask you guys that have been running the 09's for awhile allready if there is anything I should look out for at first? Or any "must do" mod's?

Oh, and does anyone know if the stiffer fork springs I still have for my 06 will work with the 09 forks? (I'm sure the stiffer shock spring i have will work also)

• yz440e

Posted May 22, 2009 - 10:36 PM

Why did you try to quit?

• grayracer513

Posted May 23, 2009 - 07:05 AM

The fork springs from the '06 450 will work.

It's not a must-do, but most people are much happier with any exhaust system other than the stock one. Peak power is OK, but almost any other pipe will add about 5 hp or more at 5500 RPM, and really wakes up the mid range.

The stock chain is still junk

Two good mods:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=634724

http://members.cox.n...r/wearplate.htm

• paul_arc

Posted May 23, 2009 - 07:15 AM

If you are doing slow type trail riding the bike stalls pretty easy. I have to work the clutch constantly and still have yet to get my heavier flywheel. That is my only complaint about the bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hillclimbguy

Posted May 23, 2009 - 10:23 AM

If you are doing slow type trail riding the bike stalls pretty easy. I have to work the clutch constantly and still have yet to get my heavier flywheel. That is my only complaint about the bike.

If you stay on the trail and quit climbing boulders, maybe it would stall so much.:lol: :doh: :snore: :eek: Get a flw.:banana:

• davcon

Posted May 23, 2009 - 12:24 PM

At least you didnt take 18 years off like i did.

• paul_arc

Posted May 23, 2009 - 08:01 PM

If you stay on the trail and quit climbing boulders, maybe it would stall so much.:lol: :doh: :snore: :p Get a flw.:eek:

I dont know what you are talking about, I like the fire roads remember:smirk: :banana:

Unless you are hurt there is no excuse to take any time off from riding. but glad to see you found your way back to the dark side:thumbsup:

• mn519

Posted May 23, 2009 - 09:31 PM

Why did you try to quit?

Racing 30 races a yr got expensive. I needed to cut expenses to focus on building a business.

The fork springs from the '06 450 will work.

It's not a must-do, but most people are much happier with any exhaust system other than the stock one. Peak power is OK, but almost any other pipe will add about 5 hp or more at 5500 RPM, and really wakes up the mid range.

The stock chain is still junk

Two good mods:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=634724

http://members.cox.n...r/wearplate.htm

Thanks for the info. The stock chain stretched today in just a couple laps.

Ouch!

I picked er up this morning and went from the dealer right to the track for a practice day. Man was I rusty! But I kept it on 2 wheels and was feeling pretty good by the end of the day!

I can tell you the first thing I noticed was the smooth low end power. Weak lol. Riding it felt like my modded 290(cams, pipe, etc), just with more top end pull. Oh and its hard starting. I think it's lean, but its not popping much on decel.

The next thing I noticed was this bike turns!! It was hands down 10x better at turning then my 06 450. Inside, outside, mid corner changes... no problem!

Next I noticed my lack of noticing anything about the rear suspension. All I can say is it's amazing out of the box.

The forks well, they are pretty harsh still, but I think they just need some time to loosen up.

After some time riding it I am dam happy with it. I think the smooth low end power is actually better for me as it wont wear me out as fast as the 06 did. Plus the bike is way faster then me, and I'm smart enough to know that having more power wont make me faster.

Well its after midnight and I better get to bed. Tomorrow I gotta try to get the forks broke in better and work on the low speed jetting.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.