Stator / Rectifier / Fan Wiring

3 replies to this topic
  • buzzfin

Posted May 22, 2009 - 01:35 PM

Ok, so I have a new lighting stator from ElectrexWorld installed on my '09 450. Not going to run lighting, but will be installing a cooling fan. Need to make sure I've got the wiring correct first... I picked up a regulator/rectifier from Trail Tech, however it has two yellow wires which are supposed to be run to the stator, but the stator only has one yellow wire. Should I leave one off or connect both to the single, yellow stator wire?

Also, Trail Tech says not to connect the black wire to frame ground, but to connect it to a "floating ground". Do I need to tap into the ground on the harness that comes out of my stator (which connects to my bike's CDI) or just simply connect it to the negative terminal of the cooling fan?

Thanks for your help, guys!

• grayracer513

Posted May 22, 2009 - 02:14 PM

You can't go by the wire color when the products come from two different manufacturers. You also cannot connect any part of either your new lighting coil circuit, or the DC circuit that comes from the rectifier to either the frame ground or any ground lead in the YZ wiring harness. Your added on electrical circuits, including the fan ground, will have to be kept separate and isolated from the AC system that operates the YZ ignition.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • buzzfin

Posted May 22, 2009 - 02:29 PM

Ok, I get it..... Attaching the rectifier or fan ground to the wiring harness ground would cross the AC and DC grounds. Makes total sense now. I'm thinking the easiest thing would be to just add a battery or capacitor and connect DC ground to that... Wouldn't that do the trick?

• grayracer513

Posted May 22, 2009 - 02:40 PM

That should. Just keep the circuits apart from one another.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.